White spirit won't burn?

I was going to burn down some tree stumps aided by some petrol to get it going. Having a bottle of white spirit to hand I thought I'd use that instead of going to the garage to get petrol. It won't light!!!!

This is the exact product, and it says flammable on the side. But it bloody well isn't.

Lieutenant Scott

>Yes it will. Flash point for standard white spirit is around 31 - 54 C (Wikipedia) so you can't light a pool of it, but it will burn on a wick, like paraffin.

Reply to
newshound

Excellent idea, remember to use as much petrol as possible.

Reply to
Steve Firth

and remember to put the video on YouTube in case it merits submission to the Darwin awards

Reply to
Nospam

as someone who has BTDTGTT I suggest you get a decent ax, pick, and shovel, expose the roots around the stump, and chop it out.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Agreed; although you can also use one of those "chainsaw" disks in an angle grinder!

A Mattock is also a useful supplement to your list.

Reply to
newshound

And leave it to soak in for few minutes before attempting to light it with a lighter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

going. Having a bottle of white spirit to hand I thought I'd use that instead of going to the garage to get petrol. It won't light!!!!

I bought a jerry can of petrol and tried burning them, but they kept going out. So I took the easy option.

To my neighbour's horror, I reversed the car into the back garden, tied the tree stumps to the towbar, and yanked them out of the ground. She was particularly concerned that my car (or flying tree stump) was aiming directly for her kitchen window. She took the dog for a walk while I did it :-)

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I placed a lit cigarette lighter above it, and even into it, but it did not light.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I have a pick and shovel but it was taking ages - there were 10 of them.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Unfortunately my angle grinder is the small kind, it can't cut deep enough through a big stump.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Read again...... I placed a lit cigarette lighter ABOVE it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Put it under it and it will *warm up* and burn.

Reply to
dennis

Until it gets to its flash point there is no vapour to burn. For white spirit, the easiest way to get enough of it above its flash point so that combustion can start is to use a wick. It's like diesel, you can extinguish a burning cigarette in a pool of it of you're not too slow, but it burns very well indeed using a wick or some other way of vapourising a small amount.

Reply to
John Williamson

A stump grinder is rather like what I was proposing. You attack it from one side and carry on until you are through to the other, having reduced it all to chips. As others have said, usually the best approach is to dig all the way round and sever the roots below ground level before pulling it out. But you can't always do that, and this is where the stump grinder comes in.

It was half a joke, actually, given that some of us like to use them to solve all problems.

Reply to
newshound

Glad it's sorted. Can't have been much of a tree stump in that case, though (unless it was very rotten below ground). When it's the other way round, a small tree can stop a surprisingly fast or heavy vehicle.

Reply to
newshound

I suppose, but why do we need the flammable warning on that and not paper (which is considerably easier to light)?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Isn't the flash point the temperature required to ignite the vapour? Which is presumably different to the temperature to evaporate it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

It's a 1.9 turbo diesel, and I took a good run at it. Snapped a tow rope and a chain before getting all 10 out. Automatic gearbox helps too.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Have you tried holding a lighter above a piece of paper, its damn hard to get it to burn.

Reply to
dennis