White spirit won't burn?

No that is a common misunderstanding. Its the temperature at which an explosive vapour will form. You still need an ignition source. There are chemicals which will spontaneously combust near the flash point.

Reply to
dennis

Wikilies shows its properties on this page:-

vapour pressure at 20C is very low, so there will be no vapour cloud to ignite. Liquid hydrocarbons don't burn, it's the vapour that burns and can be ignited at flash point temperature.

Reply to
John Williamson

But touch the flame on the paper for an instant and it ignites. Didn't happen with the white spirit.

Meths lights easily, I assumed white spirit was similar.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Oh. According to Wikipedia, what I am thinking of is actually called "autoignition temperature".

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

The temperature of the room was probably 15C.

What's the three temperatures they quote?: Low flash, regular, and high flash.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

BTDTGTTS many times. DON'T use a chainsaw, ever! Do be patient and dig around the roots with a trowel. A bowsaw is a good tool as is a reciprocating saw with a suitable blade for tricky bits. Have an axe or two and a 5' metal lever bar too. Even big ones only take a few hours of patience. I don't imagine they can be burnt out except by building a big bonfire and leaving it burning overnight.

Alternatively take the Baster Bates approach and blow the bu**ers up :-)

Reply to
Pete Shew

Remind me not to buy a car from you.

-- Davey.

Reply to
Davey

tree stumps to the towbar, and yanked them out of the ground.

Fuck's sake.

Reply to
grimly4

6 inches was enough when using a VW Golf 1.9TDI automatic.
Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

rope and a chain before getting all 10 out. Automatic gearbox helps too= .

Like what?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

tree stumps to the towbar, and yanked them out of the ground.

It worked. And considerably faster than doing it by hand.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

HOURS of patience?!?!?!? No way. They came up pretty quick with the car towing them out.

I was considering it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

You seem to be under the mistaken idea that a car can't pull something that hard. Think how tough a towbar and attachments has to be to pull a caravan safely.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Not all that strong, as you're pulling a rolling load at either moderate acceleration or at a steady speed. Back of envelope says a maximum of half a ton total, summing the horizontal and vertical components.

A steady pull of that magnitude is fine. Pulling out a tree stump is a shock load which is well in excess of what the towbar and its fixings are designed to take. I'll try it with a Land Rover with a good chassis, but I'll use a kinetic energy recovery rope to do it. The clue here is that you managed to snap a towrope and a chain, which says that the peak loads were way above the design limits of the car and towbar. Luckily, I live somewhere your car will never be sold.

Reply to
John Williamson

There is a big difference between towing something at a reasonable speed, and jerking something that doesn't want to move. Overzealous letting out of a clutch has been known to twist half-shafts and strip teeth from gears.

Reply to
Davey

I actually ripped the splines from a half-shaft in errrr ~65 but nah, that couldn't happen to the loot, rodders would shirley agree. I wouldn't mind'em trolling if they made it funny FFS although I actually believe the loot is as dumbass as his posts.

Reply to
brass monkey

You've obviously never seen me drive, I don't do "reasonable speed" unless there's a pandacar about.

It's an automatic, it doesn't overzealously engage.

And I popped the clutch out as fast as the springs would go on my Maestro hundreds of times (to cause wheelspins) and that never damaged it. Mind you Rovers were overengineered.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Grow up.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

What about when you put your foot to the floor while towing? You've still got the full power of the engine pulling on the towbar. I suppose I was adding momentum of the car too though, but then again there will be some safety margins I can make use of.

No, it says they were above the design limits of the chain, which is a lot thinner than the towbar and fixings.

Are you sure? I sold a Honda CRV to a guy in London.

Anyway I don't usually sell cars - the Honda sale was because I changed from two cars to one when I realised the Golf was reliable enough to only have one. I see no point in getting rid of something which is still functional. If it cannot be repaired or made to go through an MOT at a reasonable cost, it is dismantled for parts and scrap metal.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Don't.

The tree stump snaps off, the kinetic recovery rope contracts and flings the stump at the car and does several hundred pounds worth of damage to it.

Don't ask me how I know.

Reply to
Huge