tarmac drive refubishment

I have a tarmac drive which is basically sound but is starting to show its age, surface stones are loosening and the odd bit needs filling. It was well constructed 20 years ago.

I'm thinking of using this .

Snake oil or a worthwhile product?

Any alternatives?

Reply to
<me9

£2.5o per m2 is pretty expensive
Reply to
Rick Hughes

A bloke around the corner from me is an agent for this and has recently (within the last 6 weeks) coated his drive with it (drive about 10 years old and seemingly sound). It did look better when looked at in isolation but it was very obviously a different colour to his neighbours' drives (*) and hence looks a trifle odd. He coated the top of a mahhole cover with it and this has subsequently worn off and the rest of the drive is now showing signs of wear at the front of the drive.

Having seen it I would not reccommend it.

Hope this helps

Mark Spice

Mark Spice wibbled on Friday 09 July 2010 22:00

So it falls into the category of "tart it up and sell it". Fair enough - I use Colour Magic on old cars. Everyone does and everyone knows everyone does. Seems to aid in a quick sale though...

Anyway, looks like some sort of bitumen in solution to me.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Gel

Gel wibbled on Friday 09 July 2010 23:41

'm intrigued by the low VOC bit. I would have thought bitumen in a real man's solvent would have worked quite well - it would weld in to some degree with the existing surface. I would guess that the product above must be more like a bitumen emulsion which would certainly black it up - but how long would it last (a year according to another post).

If it's a contractor doing it - wouldn't it be better to spray hot tar on and lob a bit of fine dressing on top (like the el-cheapo road resurfacing)

- at least the tar would seal up any cracks and would provide a tangible new, albeit thin, surface layer.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Had mine done by some guys knocking at the door!!!

It was actually three Polish guys and they did a first class job, step one a super thorough brushing off of the old surface with a powered rotary brush which brought off a *lot* of loose debris from the old suface I suspect this is the key to a reasonable life expectancy for the new surface. Next was a hot bitumen coating then finally a decent layer of pea shingle, and it did look good. So much so the neighbours were asking if we were moving!

What they didn't do, and I'm having to do it periodically now, is to spray with weed killer.

Whether you do it yourself or get the work done, make sure it's well-sprayed with a good strong weed killer after the initial preparation.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Never used this, but Watco have been around for donkeys years & have a good reputation

The Medway Handyman

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

From a browse of their site they also have this, slightly cheaper.

I womnder which is best, and how they compare with picscoat. I think I'd prefer Watco rather than Picscoat from comments so far?

Reply to
<me9