mastic instead of grout

Is this an ok solution to a leaking shower tray? The tray has an upstand lip but the tiler elected to start full tiles above this lip and used a cut tile beneath it to bridge the gap. The result is the grouting between this short tile and the full size on above it is prone to failure and water leaks behind it and behind the upstand. I just wondered if mastic would be a better alternative to more grout

Reply to
fred

My method is to remove the tiles above the lip, seal with silicone, and then tile over that so the grout is simply decorative.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

fred snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Sealant rather than mastic works well but it needs to be sanitary silicone as it has additives which discourages mould growth. I have tried the proprietary more sticky sealants to overcome the creeping gap problem but they became discoloured in the longer term.

Reply to
Peter Burke

It's normal to use cut tiles around edges because then they can be cut to accommodate edges that aren't level or straight. You could put another tile over the top, starting part-way down the previous one.

Reply to
nothanks