Boiler installation - flushing

I have a well-known firm installing a WB boiler today, to replace our old boiler.

They say that their normal way of doing things is to connect up the new boiler, add chemicals, and flush the system for an hour. Then drain and refill.

This seems all wrong to me, and indeed the WB installation manual says: "A new appliance must only be used to assist the cleaning of a newly installed system."

Surely, they should have flushed the system with the old boiler, or do a power flush?

Any suggestions about what to do?

Reply to
GB

I believe so, but I'm no plumber.

If the old one's still in circuit, there is no mystery.

If not, boiler pipes can be short circuited for pumping.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com brought next idea :

I agree, really stupid to flush after a new install - that will flush into the new boiler.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

This is a well-known firm, that says they are part-owned by WB, and they will forward confirmation from WB that the procedure they have used is okay. So far, they haven't.

Reply to
GB

Are they fitting a magnetic filter to keep crud out of the new boiler ?. They should and might be relying on this to collect the rust particles.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew pretended :

Noiler manufacturers seem to insist on one, for the warranty. They do only collect the rust particles - no use at all for collecting other debris, which can still obstruct a modern boilers water passages. So basically - if it needs flushing, it needs to be flushed before a new boiler is fitted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Some have a cyclonic filtration action as well for non magnetic stuff - however their ability to "hang onto" the non magnetic crud is presumably more limited.

+1 or at least, it can be fitted, but isolated at its service valves.
Reply to
John Rumm

There are 3 filter modes used by these things in varying combinations

  1. magnet
  2. filter mesh
  3. cyclone

I'd hate to rely on any of them to filter everything out.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do good plumbers fit service valves to all the pipes at the boiler?

(Mine didn't.)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You can't do that. Close them all and there would be nowhere for water to expand to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Except perhaps the expansion(sic) tank.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Modern boilers have them built into the inlets.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is there still a requirement to have two, if connected to potable water?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News