Margaret Thatcher RIP;!...

harry

Towards the end of the paragraph.

Reply to
harry

Thanks for confirming how I thought you saw things.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The key word was "all" not "surviving".

Reply to
harry

If that was the case, of course. But was she capable of making that decision?

No - in her own home being looked after. Most with dementia prefer familiar surroundings.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

staffordshire while 'Snatcher' died in a bed in the Ritz hotel, I think that says a lot.

What relevance is that?

Why? She couldn't be cured and saved the NHS a fortune by not taking up a bed. Hospitals are not the best place to be if you aren't getting treatment. Most people chose not to die in hospital if they can avoid it.

Reply to
dennis

No they don't. They don't even recognise familiar surroundings. They need 24x7 attendance to help them do EVERYTHING up to and including getting dressed, bathing and going to the loo. Beyond that, they don't actually need medical attention at all.

Once again the Voice of the Left talking out of its own arse.

I watched my mother die of dementia..

Ghastly

The last coherent thing she said was 'oh , I've just been for a walk with my mother' - that was the last thing she remembered. And incident from 1924..and 'it hurts, everything hurts' (she was also on morphine patches) . She died a couple of days later.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you *ever* read before dribbling? Who said anything about *medical* attention? And although 'they' may not appear to recognise people or surroundings, change makes things worse.

As I did. Hence my repeating pretty well what the experts said.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

NHS hospital beds were mentioned elsewhere up the thread.

Do you *ever* read before dribbling?

I wonder how you would feel if i said 'good, may she rot in hell'

But iof course the thing about expert opinions is there are so many to choose from.

Our 'experts' said the important thing was just a calm atmosphere and lots of staff on call to stop them wandering off and get them to the loo BEFORE they ended up wetting themselves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They need to be where they remember. that may well not be their home. If she was happy at the Ritz then that's better than being at home.

If they said she should be at home just because it was home they weren't much of an expert. They might need to be where they lived 50 years ago. Such is the impracticalities of life.

Reply to
dennis

Then reply to the person who wrote it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I find it odd that Mrs Thatchers death has only been mentioned once at work this week. I have been working in Barnsley and Doncaster (and this is on building sites where ex-miners are working).

The person that mentioned it was a 21 year old plumber. He was delighted at her death. One of the ex miners said he was delighted that the pits had closed as that meant that his son never had to work down a mine.

Reply to
ARW

The Grand Hotel was not posh enough for her.

She chose her own hotel and did not let others choose for her.

Well done that lady.

Reply to
ARW

Exactly so. I thought it was more than 8K, but heyho.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This alternative way of stating much the same did not have the same mis-readabiity:

"The list of invitees to an event that Thatcher began personally planning more than seven years ago, includes the three surviving former British prime ministers, the four surviving former US presidents, a representative of the former South African president Nelson Mandela and the former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton."

Reply to
polygonum

He is priceless, isn't he? Almost a National Treasure, like one of those wonky church spires.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Who would want to buy an uneconomic, strike prone industry?

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I more or less got that from an ex-miner in Wakefield. He was being re-trained to work for the police, but sadly couldn't get the hang of computers. I had the great job of telling him that he couldn't be signed off as competent to do the job because after six weeks of trying he wasn't getting the hang of it and he was also stressing himself into a standstill. After a deep breath he said not to worry because he was getting a job in the business that his son had set up (haulage).

We had a pint after work and I asked him if he missed mining. "Not a bloody chance, filthy, dangerous, back breaking - doing a job best done by a machine." and "Glad my son saw sense and set up his own business." The on thing he was proud of was that he was "multiskilled", which was true, a damn good welder and electrician and a very nice bloke. I wasn't quite sure why he couldn't use the trades that he knew well (hydraulics, electrics, pneumatics and maintenance of heavy machinery).

Reply to
Steve Firth

[snip]

What do you think the going rate was for a business that at the time was losing £250,000,000 per year? That's around a billion a year loss at current rates, I think. Checks Bank of England inflation calculator - yep about a billion a year loss. Who would have taken it on?

[snip]

Perhaps you can provide a link to Thatcher saying she was going to break the unions? I can't recall her saying it, and there are no links to her saying it that I can find. There is however a considerable body of speeches by Arthur Scargill in which he declares his intention to destroy capitalism and bring down the government. And these speeches go back a long way before 1981.

Also if Thatcher was rabidly anti-miner and anti-union why did she appoint Peter Walker, known for his union friendly approach to lead negotiations with the NUM and if she wanted to shut down coal why did she appoint Ian MacGregor who had put British Steel into profit for the first time in decades in charge of the NCB?

I bet you're going to trot out some Trot bilge about that being a cunning wheeze to anger the miners. However MacGregor was a capable manager who had done what no other Chairman of British Steel had been able to do - make it pay.

Or are you under the mistaken belief that businesses don't need to make profits and that they should be some work creation scheme funded on the never-never? [snip]

Oh yes, I believe you. I believe that you have made personal friends with 60,000,000 British people and know each of them intimately.

[snip]

That's a tad hypocritical on more than one count. You just stated that people tend to be individuals to you, then you give the proof that anyone who doesn't fawningly agree with your deluded version of "being nice to everyone" or whatever you are on about, is some sort of evil monster to be reviled and is one of a two class system. Well done Dave, can I get you a bandage for that foot or do you want to admire the smoking ruin of a former appendage for a little longer?

BTW, if the childish jibe was aimed at me, then I'm happy to compare the amount I spend on charity, the causes I support, the volunteer work I have done etc, if you will do the same. Why you think having the state rob me and spend the money how it wants is a better use than I have put it to is another of those bizarre things that I guess even you can't justify. Why you think that giving a kid in a sweet shop an extra 10% load of sweets because he screams that he wants it is being kind to the child is another mystery. Because that's how Scargill's union behaved.

BTW, care to take a guess about how NACODS and the DUM saw the strike? Or to take a view of a thousand miners trying to beat up a bathroom attendant who couldn't afford to lose even a day's work because he was so low paid? Who, I wonder, were the people not giving a stuff about others at that time?

BTW, unlike you I was born in a "coal and cotton" village, lived there until I was 18 and then escaped. Your southern romantic view of miners and mining is almost 100% bollocks. The majority of miners walked from the pit head to the pub on a Friday, pissed their wages up against a wall and backhanded their wife for daring to ask for the rent. That was the romantic truth.

The miners where I lived weren't on Scargill's side, so thousands of thugs descended from Yorkshire and tried to stop them working. That was nice of them wasn't it?

Well no, you're not. You made no comment at all. What you did is state that Brand speaks for you - "sums up my view" and you were about as critical of that view as Scargill was of his hairstyle.

I see you turned tail and fled on the subject of being critical about what Brand actually said. His views were incorrect and moronic. Is that really the sort of person you want to speak for you, someone who can't even check his facts?

Actually all you are doing is spitting bile.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is always amusing to see how the losers on the left keep coming back for more after their politicians and union leaders have shafted them time and time again. Because they know that only with criminals for leaders can their vicious bigotry and hatred be tolerated for the sake of their vote.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher