Is it true

The Medway Handyman

Reply to
newshound

Recently there was a program on TV about a company moving manufacturing back from China to UK. As part of the scheme the owner sent a couple of Brits to China to work in the factory there for a while and a couple from China to UK, actually Liverpool. The Chinese were appalled at how hard the Brits worked, so that make nonsense out of the MPs. so what is new?

Reply to
Moonraker

Recently there was a program on TV about a company moving manufacturing back from China to UK. As part of the scheme the owner sent a couple of Brits to China to work in the factory there for a while and a couple from China to UK, actually Liverpool. The Chinese were appalled at how hard the Brits worked, so that make nonsense out of the MPs. so what is new?

I think you have to qualify that.

IIRC the Chinese were surprised at how many units per hour the Brits could make, but the Chinese would routinely work more than twice the hours.

(and that compares well with my own experience of working with SE Asians in software development)

Now, define "hard working"?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

France, 35 hours is the statutory maximum, with no opt-out. The politicians thought that would create more jobs, but it just resulted in a shortage of skilled people.

As for low productivity, I view that as a problem of management. I certainly never had problems getting good productivity from my workers, but they got a share of the profits, based upon their individual (or for some jobs team) output above a fairly easy minimum.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Indeed. When I first read that, I thought "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A mate of mine is married to a Chink, his FIL is something like a florist in HK, in his 70's and still working 6.5 days a week. Long days too.

Reply to
newshound