making over a kitchen and bathroom

I have a very old kitchen and bathroom - they are 1970's? The bathroom suite is cast iron bath and porcelain close coupled toilet and avocado colour.

I would like a new one but have problems getting it done!

Is there anything I can do that's is fairly easy ( ie cannot do DIY - in my day girls did cooking and needlework and boys did carpentry/ metalwork and hammering in nails etc.) to cover up all the stains on the bath?

Also my kitchen is a 1970's/80's fitted one ( its a sort of linen weave coloured one - pale beige if anyone remembers when those were around ) . The worksurface is very stained now, especially round the sink where it seems to be going rusty ( OH tells me this is because the sink brackets are rusting out and coming through on the surface) and I was wondering if there was anyway I could re cover it . I had thought of painting but dont think it would work somehow.

Does putting new doors on old base units work? I would like to have some new doors . I have a drawer unit which was replaced recently because the old one broke and now the rest looks a bit odd. The new drawer unit is gloss white.

Anyone know anyway to make a kitchen and bathroom over nicely when they are old like mine.

I would have them changed but my OH is being difficult. ( he is a plumber!!!!!!!)

Reply to
bluebell

30 years old? All needs ripping out.
Reply to
News Groups

bathroom

You'll be sorry! They'll all be collectors items going on the Antiques Roadshow in no time flat. I remember my parents hating Victorian style with the ferver I apply to 1930's stuff that people now seem to drool over Now where are my flairs and kipper tie?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Except I cant. If you have read my other thread you will understand why. My husband ( a plumber by trade and a skinflint by nature) thinks that if something is still working ( ir water comes out of the taps , no leaks, no drips ( and even if there were drips he would just change the tap washer - five minutes) and nothing smells , it does not need ripping out.

So I have an old bathroom and an old kitchen and I have to make do and mend . ( No we are not of the war time generation, I was born in the 1960's although he is a fities model). I blame the government and the emphasis on recycling and saving the bloody planet myself. This is why I have no kitchen and no new bathroom. If it works, why spend resources on a new one and create waste?

Reply to
bluebell

Have you ever thought of a good fire, and get it all done on the insurance?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

... thereby sharing the cost around all of us...

;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine