Ludicrous DIY at Lidl

What exactly was the first series about? I vaguely remember it was something like what Callan later became. (Without the light-bulb.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Would that be dayglo.

I vaguely recall working in a fibreglass factory way back then, the prospec tive custoemrs were being shown the latests example I overheard their buyer specifically ask about the quantities used for the reflective yellow.

And the son of the owner later respecifying less.

Some years later I remember reading newspaper reports about dayglo fencing lacking substantial amounts of glow. I always wondered if daddy ever found out.

I always remember him finding out I was using too many paper masks. All I c ould think of was that was stupid way to save money.

Apparently that was the managerial attitude throughout British industry at the time. I think it was truism that the inheritors are generally degenerat ors. I think it was called asset stripping. One would have though the Torie s would have been prepared for that sort of thing when they denationalised everything.

Strange to think they thought it could still work with hospitals. You'd hav e thought they would have learned from the emergency services. Ah well... or not -as I am most likely to be later...

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

No wonder you can't get decent apprentices. You are a shitty toolboxman. Is all your stuff from there?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

I recently watched The spy who came in from the cold, with Richard Burton, and, after an initial moment or two, did not really notice it was B&W, not colour. Watching films from that era is great fun. Plenty of scenes in London which is full of Morris Minors and Ford Anglias, not to mention real LT buses :-)

Reply to
News

The film channel on Freeview* and Freesat Talking Pictures shows a lot of old British films from the 30's to 70's. Many which would have been B movies are but the missus and I find them fascinating not so much for the content but the background scenes of a Britain now long gone, and it wasn't all roses around the cottage door either. One the other day had a steel works at the end of the street, how did people live with the steam hammer going all day and night almost next door. It also had a young Diana Dors in her knickers with an enormous Camel Toe which I was surprised got past the censors of the era.

  • you do need a receiver which picks up the later channel allocations which in laymans terms will be HD compatible equipment. Someone on here will know the correct term.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

But whoever made it didn't understand colour temperature of the lighting. I saw Emma Peel outside a house in a blue suit, but once indoors it became green (or was it the other way round).

Reply to
charles

Both series 4, and 5 the only ones I only ever really bothered with at the time, or since, (Linda Thorston fan club anyone ?)are supposed to be "digitally restored", on the Optimum DVD release anyway.

Series 4, the electronic camera B/W one is crisp as anything with maybe enhanced contrast. Whereas the colour in some series 5 episodes looks decidedly washed - out. Without adjusting the knobs at least, meaning subsequent fannying about to restore the usual settings.

michael adams

michael adams

She rarely if ever wore leather in series 5. In the drill episode which was in the first episode in series 5 she's wearing a Premier Inns Purple, cat suit.

It seems Tinypic links no longer work in many browsers for some reason.

michael adams

michael adams

A lot of these films are available on Amazon for less than a tenner or pop. One good feature of Amazon is if you even just research any of these genre titles, they provide a selection of similar films along the bottom, some of which have never had an airing on TV and which most people will never have heard about. I can only assume transfer costs have been falling sufficient to make them economic propositions at all. None of them seem to be subject to the Licencing costs (Copyright etc) which AIUIA is what makes some films so expensive to transfer. Having developed a taste for DVD's, BFI documentary series etc. it's now difficult to watch films on freeview, given both the incessant commercial breaks and in many cases the dire picture quality.

michael adams

michael adams

In message , michael adams writes

I have bought several DVDs of old films via eBay. Used, but in perfectly good condition, and most less than a couple of quid, including postage.

Reply to
News

On the channel I watch it on (Pick?) the picture looks slightly odd, like the ratio is wrong, but no amount of tweaking with the TV settings seems to fix it. It's showing in 4:3, but looks slightly squeezed widthways.

Reply to
Halmyre

Sure it wasn't just a continuity error?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The suit looked identical. It wasn't a great error, probably few noticed, but when your job involves looking at colour quality it was obvious,

Reply to
charles

Most of the made on film shows have been transferred to electronic storage. Originally tape. Perhaps more than once. So it could well be the version transmitted on these low cost TV channels was a dub of a dub of a dub. The original on film - if it still exists - would likely look pretty good with a modern careful transfer to electronic. But to do that cost money. Not something these low cost TV channels have.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ROFL! :-)

Reply to
newshound

But not to the telecine operator, obviously. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

perhaps he didn't have rehearsal time to set TARIF.

Reply to
charles

I wouldn't bother witha muted URL due security grounds but more to do with the same reasons of laziness I didn't click on NoScript to permit them opening.

What is the point of not looking at adverts if you look at adverts?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Doubt they care these days. Just press the button and leave it running for the transfer. They sure as anything don't line up the audio levels. So why bother with pictures either?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Making a hole for a new Eurosocket, the socket now mandated to improve safety in the home. Naturally it doesn't, and costs 20x the price and is 10x the size.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr