Adobe Photoshop 7 replacement

Hi all, I have been using the full edition of Photoshop 7 for some 20 years and did 3 evening classes at our local collage to try to learn more about using it.

After moving to Microsoft Windows 10, my 2 year old desktop computer (Processor Description : AMD Bulldozer FX-8 Eight Core 8320 Processor Cache 8MB With: 4 X 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory Speed :1600Mhz)

Photoshop 7 will not install, when I click on install, it starts to install but nothing happens.

I have started looking at a newer Photoshop replacement, and Adobe Photoshop Elements 14 seems to be suitable? I do not want to rent a version. It seems available on CD at Amazon for 57.52

If any experienced users can comment I would be grateful. Mick. IOW.

Reply to
Mick IOW

I don't know if this is still viable:

Richard

I had a similar problem. I just kept the early version on a separate computer with the old operating system. The newer version of Photoshop has a "history" function. In practice it means you can have multiple "undos" instead of just the one. Uses vastly more memory of course as every change you make to a picture is recorded so that you can "go back" if you want.

Reply to
harry

Not a user: there's The Gimp, with a lot of learning to do, or an offshoot called Photogimp that's supposed to be like Photoshop.

Reply to
PeterC

I trust you have done a google search and found this sort of thread

Have you waited long enough (ie hours)

Reply to
Chris B

Can you run it in a virtual machine?

Does Windows 10 have an equivalent of XP mode? Mind you, that was just a VM, too.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Gimp is OK, or, if you have a reasonable amount of RAM, install an older OS in a VM and keep the photoshop you have

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have both the full versions (monthly fee) and an old version of Elements. I often use Elements for some quick jobs as I find it easier and wuicker t o use. Its a very capable programme and unless you are a power user it will do all you want. You might try eBay for a copy.

Reply to
fred

Jon Connell

A few remedies can be found

There are other links if you ask Google about instyalling it on a Win10 machine.

Reply to
alan_m

Thank you all for your help.

After more attempts, I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 14, as a download from Adobe.

It is somewhat different to use, but seems as if it will be good. Mick. IOW.

Reply to
Mick IOW

In message , Mick IOW writes

Other replies noted. I haven't used Photoshop for a long time, as Faststone Viewer does most of what Photoshop does (and quite a lot of things it doesn't). It's free (although you can donate), and very easy to use.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

That sounds good must have a look as I need something to put on my notepad when i go abroad just for simple editing. I use photoshop at home but need some basics when abroad.

Reply to
ss

Yes, give it a try. BTW, there is the option of a portable version - and it seems to have all the functionality as the install version.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Ian Jackson presented the following explanation :

I can't see the OP so thought I'd tag on here and hope he/she sees it.

Have a look here:

Apparently Photoshop 7 is compatible with Windows 10 and works well but it takes a long time to install it.

Reply to
John