low voltage lighting

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light. It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really irritating. Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Reply to
charlienospam

Replace the transformer with one that is suitable for dimming operation. This can also include suitable electronic transformers which will then operate silently.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy, but the transformer is built into the housing of the light so I can't replace it. Will have to remove the dimmer I guess..

Reply to
charlienospam

Yes - get rid of the dimmer and replace it with an on/off switch! That's what I ended up doing.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not a dimmable fitting?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmm, just tried it with a normal on/off switch and it's still buzzing! I could understand it if it was a cheap light, but it was =A360 at john lewis..

Reply to
charlienospam

only solution is to replace the transformer. You dont need to physically remove the old one, just disconnect it and wire in a new one, which can sit next to the light on the plasterboard.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

to be honest I'd rather send it back to john lewis than do that, but thanks anyway. btw, any idea what it is about this transformer that could be the cause?

Reply to
charlienospam

While the fitting may be relatively expensive (market expectation and design), the transformer may well be a pretty low cost/quality component.

Does the label on the fitting say that it's dimmable?

Reply to
Andy Hall