Pendent Lighting question

I'm getting ready to install a couple pendant lights above my bar. We are going to put them on a dimmer switch. I was telling a friend our plans, and she asked if we got a special low-wattage dimmer since the pendant lights should be low wattage. It said it should indicate this on the packaging (it does not, nor does it state anywhere that I need a special dimmer switch). How can I tell if they indeed are low-wattage, and is it okay to use a standard dimmer switch?

Reply to
JK

if there's a transformer, then it's low voltage. if the bulbs have a voltage written on them, then look at that. if they are low voltage, then no, you can't use a standard dimmer switch. she's also wrong; not all pendants are low voltage.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Lamps Plus have a good summary of when to use the two main types of low voltage dimmers, if your pendant lights are actually low voltage (your friend may have said low voltage not low wattage). Basically, magnetic stepdown transformer-fed 12 lites need matching (magnetic) dimmers. Electronic transformers need to have electronic dimmers. We installed electronic dimmer in a room using magnetic fixture transformers, and now have buzzing sounds at all light levels except full brightness. We'll have to fix that. See:

Roger Taylor

As far as I know the only way is to ask the distributor/retailer, or better yet would be info from the manufacturer of the light unit. Go to their website, give them model no., and ask for tech. help with identifying the type of transformer.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I have done it for years with no issues.

Reply to
m Ransley

I mean, "low voltage".

BTW, the transformer does say: Input: 120V AC 60Hz Output: 12V AC 60W Max. Halogen Lamp

Reply to
JK