Looks like they got the house "thief"

I was astonished when I heard that the police had made an arrest just up the road in Bedford. I had assumed that the perp would have disappeared off overseas somewhere.

Reply to
GB

We may be on topic! That suggests this was possibly a D-I-Y- job.

A professional would have used a "mule" for the fraud - e.g. bring someone in from overseas to impersonate the owner, then send them home as soon as the funds are banked. (More difficult with Covid of course.)

Reply to
Robin

you has ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The deeds for our house were destroyed when it was registered, we think by the bank (not ours - previous owner).

This is a PITA because the house is ~300 years old and they were of historical interest.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

They are. Mine tell me I can keep chickens, but not pigs. And not allowed to work as a tinker. And other restrictions.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Mine says I must not hang washing in the front garden! :)

Reply to
The Other John

this begs the question of whether these ancient covenants are actually enforceable in this day and age once you throw in unfair contract terms or the human rights act etc.

Reply to
SH

Eeeeee! But ye're a raht tinker in this Group, Dave - we all know it!

:-D

John

Reply to
Another John

They didn't have Ebay when it was written. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

In most cases, they are simply rules that the builder put in place when trying to sell all the houses on the estate and they simply didn't want anything looking messy until they were all sold. Once they are all sold, they normally lose all interest in enforcing them and they are the only ones that can.

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message <so7pvs$1qkc$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>, SH snipped-for-privacy@spam.com writes

We had a situation locally back in the late noughties where a well known national house builder started to build on an area of land which was subject to a covenant (which was thought to be ~100 years old) which prohibited building on it. The courts decided that the covenant was still valid, so the walls came tumbling down. Rumour has it that the foundations are still there. A different developer is still trying to come up with an acceptable solution.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Our covenants weer put there by the original seller of the land who didn't want rubbish on his boundary. Of course that bit of land was sold off 20 years later.

Reply to
charles