looking for table saw under 200 quid

Hi, any recommendations for a 250mm table saw under 200 quid ? Must have a large table, and a fence that is accurate. Also mitre capability. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well, I'm reasonably pleased with a cheapo Clarke jobby from Machine Mart now that I've re-engineered it a bit!

Reply to
Roger Mills

S/H is your best deal

For new ones there's

's BTS10PP

and the Record (just about the only induction motor at this price)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I hope they've improved the motor / motor casing. I destroyed two within the twelve months guarantee. I did give it a lot of work though and it really didn't like working with hard wood. On the plus side Machine Mart didn't quibble about replacing it both times. Rather than tempt fate and destroy a third motor I sold the table shortly afterwards - while it was still in working order.

Reply to
David in Normandy

there's

> Axminster's BTS10PP

Having looked at various models, on some the fence cannot move in very close to the blade. One use I have for the saw is to cut halving joints in the end of 50mm timber, so I would want the fence to be able to move right up to the blade. Is this usually possible ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

there's

>>> Axminster's BTS10PP

you could fix a length of timber to the fence?

Reply to
man

I have a Charnwood with an induction motor that I'm very pleased with. Thinks its been discontinued now. Charnwoods after sales service is absolutely brilliant.

I replaced the fence with an Axminster Rip Fence Upgrade

transforms any cheaper saw. Excellent.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On my Clarke jobby the only thing stopping the fence moving right up to the blade is the blade guard.

Don't tell the H&S brigade, but I've been known to remove the guard on the odd occasion. I've still got a *few* fingers left.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I also removed the guard from mine, it was a bit flimsy and kept catching the timber as it went through. I nearly lost more than fingers on one occasion when I got a kick back and the saw table reared up on it's back legs then rocked back thrusting the spinning blade straight towards my groin. Thankfully it missed, as did my heart a few beats!!!

Reply to
David in Normandy

The table either needs to be bolted to the floor, or at least a good deal heavier than the timber you're likely to shove through it. Sandbags are cheap enough. Guards are neither here nor there if the thing isn't stable

Reply to
Stuart Noble