Table saw?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,
Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop, it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting, but not having a table saw is causing major problems. Can anyone recommend one for under 200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see there are a couple of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from Screwfix for that sort of money.
Any comments and advice would be very welcome.
Cheers!
Hi, I've got the Sears - Craftsman holiday catalog in front of me. They have 3 saws listed in your price range. All are 10". One is a Companion brand I've only heard about, so no experience with. The other 2 look similar to mine. I use mine a lot, and I like it, but wish it were bigger & better. They have one other that costs $230 that has a handle and wheels so it's more mobile. Sorry, I've not heard of Ferm. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays! Joe
Vormulac wrote:

I am pretty sure there is a UK woodworking group.
toller wrote:

If you find it let me know!

The best (and about the only really active one that I know of) is www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums
Rgds
Noel
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:59:52 GMT, Vormulac
......and in reply I say!:

Can you describe what _sort_ of problems you are having because you do not have a table saw?

My question is sincere. I will warn you that I often question whether or not somebody really needs a tablee saw, and whether or not it will solve their problems. ***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:59:52 GMT, Vormulac
There are two for 200ish (and only two) the Axminster BTS10PP (get the kit, with the legs and the extension tables) Also the B&Q black plastic one - not such a good blade, but a slightly better fence.

No. Biscuit jointer is OK, table saws aren't.
--
Smert' spamionam

Go for the Bosch 4000, it is a few dollars mor than the average saw but, it is a a excellant saw lots of working space before the blade and comes with a stand

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:59:52 GMT, Vormulac

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent to 200 pounds??
"mac davis" wrote in message

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about $US400.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Or if you're buying the other way, $200 to spend on Lie-Nielsens.
--
Smert' spamionam

Swingman wrote:

Try 200 dollars for anything that comes from the US....We suffer from one-to-one conversion a lot of the time!
Niel.
"Badger" wrote in message

about
Bankers and money changer's are like politicians, you're going to get screwed no matter which way you go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

thanks! that opens up a few more options, as a $200 limit wasn't going to get a whole lotta table saw..
Per XE currency converter, it's closer to $360.00 than it is to $400.00. You'll probably pay a 1 or 2 percent fee to convert if you pay with a credit card. Paypal also does currency conversions.
John Emmons

"John Emmons" wrote in message > "mac davis" wrote in message

equivalent
about
credit
Good case of google/internet being misleading to the unwary/non-saavy. If you believe that all you'll pay is "1 or 2 percent" to convert, there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn and some waterfront property in Florida that could cost you less.
Besides the "exchange fess", there is almost always at least one, variable rate, transaction fee. Not to mention that credit card companies are some of the worst offenders, witness one of them having to return 800 million a year ago for "undisclosed fees" in currency conversion charges for use of their credit cards overseas.
Simply put, as an individual, you are NOT going to realize the rate that any currency converter on the Internet says when it comes time to pay the piper ... guaranteed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Perhaps you should try my bank. I often buy from Canada and use my debit card. Straight up conversion, no transaction fees. Same from the UK. Can't say for other countries.
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But it doesn't mean anything if you are talking about buying a tool in England, and not importing it direct from the US. Aud$ is worth about US$.71. But a 10" Jet contractor's saw costs about Aud$1200 IIRC and even that's a lot better than it was a year or so ago. ***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????

Last I converted it was $1.794 per pound.

I use this site for exchange rates. You can get historical ones as well: <http://www.x-rates.com/
--
Best regards
Han