Table saw?

Hi all,

Could do with some advice on table saws. I am outfitting my home workshop, it's not big, and I don't do massive amounts of very heavy-duty cutting, but not having a table saw is causing major problems. Can anyone recommend one for under £200? Also, are Ferm any good? I see there are a couple of models (FZT250, FZT250N and FZT315) available from Screwfix for that sort of money.

Any comments and advice would be very welcome.

Cheers!

Reply to
Vormulac

Hi, I've got the Sears - Craftsman holiday catalog in front of me. They have

3 saws listed in your price range. All are 10". One is a Companion brand I've only heard about, so no experience with. The other 2 look similar to mine. I use mine a lot, and I like it, but wish it were bigger & better. They have one other that costs $230 that has a handle and wheels so it's more mobile. Sorry, I've not heard of Ferm. Hope this helps. Happy Holidays! Joe

Vormulac wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

I am pretty sure there is a UK woodworking group.

Reply to
toller

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 19:59:52 GMT, Vormulac vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Can you describe what _sort_ of problems you are having because you do not have a table saw?

My question is sincere. I will warn you that I often question whether or not somebody really needs a tablee saw, and whether or not it will solve their problems.

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

There are two for 200ish (and only two) the Axminster BTS10PP (get the kit, with the legs and the extension tables) Also the B&Q black plastic one - not such a good blade, but a slightly better fence.

No. Biscuit jointer is OK, table saws aren't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Brian Morris

If you find it let me know!

Reply to
Badger

I'm letting my ignorance show, here... what's the US dollar equivalent to 200 pounds??

Reply to
mac davis

By the time you get finished paying the various conversion fees ... about $US400.

Reply to
Swingman

Last I converted it was $1.794 per pound.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:DTT9d.12375$ZW5.923 @newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

I use this site for exchange rates. You can get historical ones as well:

Reply to
Han

Or if you're buying the other way, $200 to spend on Lie-Nielsens.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try 200 dollars for anything that comes from the US....We suffer from one-to-one conversion a lot of the time!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Bankers and money changer's are like politicians, you're going to get screwed no matter which way you go.

Reply to
Swingman

The best (and about the only really active one that I know of) is

Rgds

Noel

Reply to
Noel Hegan

thanks! that opens up a few more options, as a $200 limit wasn't going to get a whole lotta table saw..

Reply to
mac davis

Per XE currency converter, it's closer to $360.00 than it is to $400.00. You'll probably pay a 1 or 2 percent fee to convert if you pay with a credit card. Paypal also does currency conversions.

John Emm>

Reply to
John Emmons

Good case of google/internet being misleading to the unwary/non-saavy. If you believe that all you'll pay is "1 or 2 percent" to convert, there's a bridge for sale in Brooklyn and some waterfront property in Florida that could cost you less.

Besides the "exchange fess", there is almost always at least one, variable rate, transaction fee. Not to mention that credit card companies are some of the worst offenders, witness one of them having to return 800 million a year ago for "undisclosed fees" in currency conversion charges for use of their credit cards overseas.

Simply put, as an individual, you are NOT going to realize the rate that any currency converter on the Internet says when it comes time to pay the piper ... guaranteed.

Reply to
Swingman

Perhaps you should try my bank. I often buy from Canada and use my debit card. Straight up conversion, no transaction fees. Same from the UK. Can't say for other countries.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:52:12 -0500, "Swingman" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But it doesn't mean anything if you are talking about buying a tool in England, and not importing it direct from the US. Aud$ is worth about US$.71. But a 10" Jet contractor's saw costs about Aud$1200 IIRC and even that's a lot better than it was a year or so ago.

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick