Looking for small, surface mount (as in mount on a surface, not SMD) switches

Have you taken them apart then?

If not, why did you make them?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

? Can you find an example? The ones I know about are designed for fitting through a hole.

Reply to
Chris Green

Very difficult to mount *in* an enclosure IMHO, and suitable enclosures (as in small enough) are hard to come by.

Reply to
Chris Green

They're cheaper from CPC too. However (unless mounted in a block of wood or something) they still can't be surface mounted, they need a hole. If I make a hole the guts of the switch will be sticking out of the other side of the 'wall', this is the basic problem with anything that mounts in a hole.

Reply to
Chris Green

These are what I'm using at the moment, the trouble is that there is no way to fix them to a surface. If you screw the back/bottom to a surface then there's no way to fix the top on as the screws go in from the rear of the switch.

See discussion earlier about gluing these onto a surface though.

Reply to
Chris Green

I've seen some where the case fixing screws go in sideways. eg

Of course what you really want is the small rectangular brown bakelite surface switches I got from J Bull Electrical in 1980-something but I don't think they had a brand name on, and I don't have any to hand to look at anyway.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

There's this sort of thing

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Wow, I could have flashing cabin lights! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

No mains on the charger?

Switch...?

dennis

Solar panels.

Though there is mains on the boat sometimes of course and there's an inverter for running a domestic fridge etc.

Ah, I use AliExpress quite a lot, they look good, thank you.

Reply to
Chris Green

I think you can buy those from Maplin. I used one recently.

Reply to
Capitol

Party time!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Glue the top on?

OK, given that this is all safe low voltage - how about making unobtrusive touch switches?

A 555 should do it.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz