Outdoor electrics

I've just read online that electrical work outside is no longer covered by Part P of the Electrical regs.
When did this happen then????
Kind of relieved as my shed, which I inherited when I moved into my property in 2005, already had electrics wired up by the previous owner. But as I'm now considering getting rid of it and building a bigger one, was concerned about tinkering about with the supply.
So I guess I can do what I like out there now? :-)
--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor
On Sunday, 18 September 2016 09:33:17 UTC+1, Simon T wrote:

In 2000 I wired up my outdoor 9.5 kW sauna directly to the fuse box so I am in the clear.

I got my new CU and outdoor sockets finished shortly before Part P came in. I'd had the bits for over a year, so it did push me into finishing the job.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I genuinely fitted mine on 31/12/2004.

You always could. Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 42nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

April 2013, but only in England.
On 18/09/2016 10:14, ARW wrote:

"It also applies to building work carried out on excepted energy buildings in Wales as defined in the Welsh Ministers (Transfer of Functions) (No. 2) Order 2009."
--
Rod

On 18/09/2016 09:33, Simon T wrote:

With the 2013 revision of the part P doc. It also made a number of other sensible changes, and a general watering down of the dafter requirements.
See:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Part_P

--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/09/2016 09:33, Simon T wrote:

It didn't. Domestic electrical work outdoors (outbuildings, in gardens and outdoor lighting, etc.) is still in-scope of Part P - i.e. it must be safe in respect of electric shock and fire risks.
What changed in 2013 is that the range of work deemed to be notifiable was significantly reduced. Only the following are notifiable now:
- installation of a new circuit (presumably meaning either a distribution circuit (submain) or a final circuit;
- the replacement of a consumer unit (but not the installation of a new one, in a new shed, for instance...)
- any work within the zones in a bath/shower room, or in a swimming pool or sauna.
--
Andy

"Andy Wade" wrote in message

So, if I wanted to, I could wire a new consumer unit into my shed, direct from the one in the house and I wouldn't have to notify the council?
--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor
On 18/09/2016 13:10, Simon T wrote:

If you already have the submain to the shed, then yes. If you need to install a new circuit from the house CU then it would still be notifiable.
(having said all this, its a bit of a moot point since conversations with BCOs seem to indicate the number of applications that they get for standalone electrical jobs is typically zero!)
--
Cheers,

John.

And nobody gives a toss. Having just moved house, Part 'P' was never mentioned, either in the sale or purchase.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 42nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.

But you were not buying from or selling to dennis.

Thankfully.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 42nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 18/09/2016 13:29, Huge wrote:

"oohhh but what about the insurance?"
I say..... IDGAF
no-one gives a toss about poxy bit's of part-p paper apart from those making money from issuing them and those making money selling sh1t to those issuing them.
One big government backed scam like everything where the council is party to it's "legislation"
On 18/09/2016 13:20, John Rumm wrote:

Odd that... :~)
The only Part P prosecutions I know of have been for seriously dangerous work by cowboy tradesmen, who (IMHO) deserve all they get.
If you know what you're doing, your work is safe and complies with the fundamental rules in BS 7671 then you will have complied with the essential requirements of Part P.
--
Andy

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Oh right, I thought new circuits to outside buildings weren't notifiable?
So, if I had no electric to my shed and wanted to run power to it, I'd have to take it from a spur from an existing circuit then?
--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor
On 18/09/2016 15:56, Simon T wrote:

Yup, that's the part P way - its ok to bodge it, but doing it properly incurs an exercise in paperwork. ;-)
You could (reading the letter of the approved doc) also install a whole new CU from split tails, just for your garden feed, since that would not be a replacement! (although you may not be able to install new circuits from that ;-)
Personally, I find the grin and ignore it approach works well ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On 18/09/2016 20:14, John Rumm wrote:

It has since Part pee started, the local council even has stock letters that they issue that state they have no interest in work done without notification if it was done more than 12 months ago. They won't prosecute anyone for doing the work, but they will prosecute if its substandard and dangerous just as they did before part pee.