Looking for info on this timeswitch

Maybe it predates pdf ;-)

Reply to
Jim K...

There's no model number as far as I can see in its cramped location. I don't have a clue what all the buttons switches and dials do. Any info would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It's an immersion heater timer. There are slight differences as your is an older model, but it is basically this timer:

The instruction sheet can be downloaded at the same page.

If you search for Smiths immersion heater timer you might even find info on your model.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Just stick the metal pins into the holes at the time(s) you want it to turn on (inner holes) and off (outer holes) spin the dial until the red line shows the current time, and slide the red knob down into the "on" position ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Those little round silver things are the heads of pins that you put into the holes around the rim to switch a device on or off; they're not buttons. There are six pins in total, two around the rim and four spare in the centre, waiting to be used if you need them. You pull them out of their holes and reposition them as needed. The rim can be turned to set the clock to the correct time by the milled edge on the right hand side. The little red button is an over-ride switch - it moves up and down by a small amount. It's usually not possible to operate the over-ride switch when the clock is about to turn on or off under the control of the pins.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Very useful link and download, thanks. Didn't find the exact pdf on the Timeguard site but came pretty close.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Clear and simple. Should work for me.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I really should be able to make some headway with the detailed info I've received. Thanks

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Don't take it apart to see how it works inside.

I tried that once.

Minimum on-off time is half an hour.

Let me know here if you need any more spare setting pins as I have loads.

Smiths Industries Ltd goes back 1967, but originally founded in 1851 as a clockmaker. Definately pre-PDF!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Of course! Silly me.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

INow you mention it, this place was built in the early to mid seventies. So pre PDF for sure. I would never have thought of that if it hadn't been pointed out.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

But some manufacturers put online scans of manuals etc that pre-date PDFs by a long march. Eg I downloaded last year from Singer a manual from the 1960s for someone's sewing machine.

Reply to
Robin

I have the later 'digital' version, which was 'made in england' and never goes wrong, whereas the 13amp plug-in electronic Smith timer that I use to run my fridge has to be plugged into an old BT surge protector (ex exchange) otherwise it loses all its settings randomely every 24-36 hours.

The latter timer is 'made in china'.

Reply to
Andrew

Don't drop the pins, they disappear into carpet ...

These timers regularly appear at boot sales as people chuck out hot water cylinders in favour of combis.

Reply to
Andrew

Smiths Timeguard Victory Park, 400 Edgeware Road London NW2 6ND Help Line 020-8450-0515 snipped-for-privacy@timeguard.com

Reply to
Andrew

I've got a pretty clear idea now, thanks to helpful responses to my intial post. I'd like to search further for the sake of it but I can't see a serial number anywhere and I've done a lot of searching by image without scoring any direct hits.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

My immersion heater timer (not plug in) is telling me nowt. Neither model name, number or origin. I'm quite hopeful that it's now working correctly though.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The red nob can be moved at any time, either to ON or OFF to ovrride the current setting.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks, I'll email them with a picture.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Probably, I'm more familiar with the type that has an "off/once/twice/on" switch

Reply to
Andy Burns