What size DVDs will my CDROM cope with?

It is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH245NSDO. I have 700MB ones, but these are not large enough to make a Boot-able recovery disc with Acronis. so what are the larges capacity DVDs that this drive will work with please?

Reply to
Broadback

4.7GB
Reply to
Andy Burns

or even 8.5GB dual-layer discs

Reply to
Andy Burns

Page 11

"The disk shall have an overall diameter d1 = 120,00 mm ± 0,30 mm "

:-p

Seriously, Single layer 4.7GB DVD-R should be sufficient, Acronis will request additional disks if you backup extends above.

Adrian Caspersz

Many thanks for the information.

Reply to
Broadback

You should be able to make a Linux-based Acronis recovery disk ("Rescue Media Builder / Advanced") if you can't fit WinPE or WinRE on a disk.

But booting Acronis Recovery from a USB drive is much quicker; 4GB should be plenty big enough.

Reply to
Reentrant

DVDs are a little bit of a black art due to so many sorts and methods of writing to them. You need it seems to get the type the drive likes or they either won't work at all or just give a lower capacity. Why did they make this so hellishly complicated, I wonder? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I thought 700mb was just the max on a CD,not a DVD. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes 8 gig ramsticks are now pretty cheap if you can make it bootfrom it, but use a USB 3 port or you might still be waiting this time next week! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff