Lithium battery fires

And sheets of dry ice (solid CO2) sublime to gas directly, with no liquid phase.

When CO2 gas escapes from an orifice, it becomes colder. A number of gases do that.

Whereas Hydrogen reverses that, and is exothermic when it escapes from a cylinder. which also makes it "auto-igniting", when you use regular 80 liter cylinders. However, if a hydrogen cylinder is filled with a Zeolite, the hydrogen evolution rate can be slowed enough, to make the "fire, a small one". If they were to make a hydrogen-powered car, it's unlikely the hydrogen cylinder (at 10000 PSI), would not be adulterated in some way to reduce fire potential.

And have people suffocated via dry ice ? More than once. Example below. It would be no different with nitrogen gas (still can be toxic at 100%). One difference is, you might "taste" a level of CO2, but the nitrogen might not have a taste to it. because you're breathing an 80% mixture, right now.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

It depends on whether you believe the claims here. This is teh Internetz after all.

For our "SMR plan", I don't even know if we have settled on a brand, as part of this plan. All we have so far, is a cheesy sketch of a "building" that could be mistaken for a strip mall, that is supposed to have an SMR inside it :-/ I figure the "SMR janitor" sleeps on the second floor.

Originally, when the idea of SMRs came out, there were sketches of "sleek cylinders" representing the SMR. And one sketch had multiple cylinders on the same concrete pad.

It could be, that the cheesy sketch forming our plan, was actually an administration building, and didn't actually make the power. Who knows, maybe the people making the Powerpoint slides, are in that strip mall office.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I have taken a breath of pure CO2. Terrifying. It tastes of carbonated water but the breath does nothing.

I was a schoolkid touring a brewery and there were huge open topped fermentation tanks. I wanted to sniff at the fermenting liquid, so I put my face below the tank rim...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I dont. It may be true for one reactor type, bbut it is not generally true. Rolls Royce claim 'standard fuel'. That article looks to me like standard anti-nuclear propaganda.

six models are in the competition.

Rolls Royce have been making PWRs for submarines for decades, their design is not radical in any way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup.

is just the first hit from googling "road tanker co2" (no quotes)

(oh. Hang on. You said LN2. I was talking about CO2. "road tanker nitrogen" gives me

as a first hit; that specifically mentions cryogenic nitrogen) Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris