Lithium battery fires

I think your experience typifies the real situation with batteries. All the basic ideas are known and every one has been progressed to the point where its been discarded for one reason or another.

The renewable dream is kept alive on the one hand by the faith of those who want it to work, and on the other by the cynicism of those who don't care if it works as long as the public purse is raided to pay them for it.

The smart money is leaving the renewable energy industry in droves -

30% fall in the sector in the latter half of this year.

Governments want it to at least appear to work, but cannot fianance it any longer. And the electorate is fed up with paying through the nose for policies that achieve nothing.

They will both turn to nuclear power, once every other alternative has been explored.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is a firefighting system where a device rams a spike into the battery pack from underneath, and floods the pack from the inside.

In one of the videos, there is mention of 8 gallons a minute being enough to cool a burning battery.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Joe

They are still desperately maintaining the fiction that it 'wasnt an EV' at Luton.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're going to have to hire a private dick, or get a journalist interested to track down the owner of the range rover ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It doesn’t matter, the idea is to control the narrative *now* because when the facts do emerge at some point in the future, all people will remember is a fire in a diesel car.

Much like most people believe that 200,000 people were killed in the bombing of Dresden. That figure was arrived at by the Germans adding a zero to the true figure, which in reality was considerably lower than those killed in the bombing of Hamburg.

They have to get their narrative in early, because that’s the one people will remember.

Reply to
Spike

The problem, is finding quality builders to do the work.

The problem with SMR plans, is a lack of fuel. (I'm sure these people have some sort of ax to grind...)

You would likely want some of your traditional/successful nukes for the job. Full sized one, that run on regular fuel.

Since no shovels have turned earth for our proposed SMR plants, I assume they are not real.

Even for our regular-sized nukes, I would expect to have to complete truckloads of regulatory paperwork for them. There was something in the news a few years ago, about some reactor needing 2 million pages of documentation.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Not really. Even a boy scout built a nuclear reactor. Anyway that's the point of SMRs, build em in a factory.

You are joking, surely?

There's enough plutonium lying around up north to keep Britain going for ten years.

And 4 billion tonnes in the sea.

SMRs run on regular fuel.

That article is only right about one thing. The regulators have been paid to stop nuclear.

Not yet, no.

Rolls Royce is pushing for 2030

Correct. it is in fact the major cost,. Hence SMRs which are 'type approved'

Once you have done the paperwork, you can build as many as you want

But the fact is simple. Renewable energy is a failure, and we have no alternative but nuclear, and if we don't adopt it, other nations will, and we will sink into renewable poverty and world irrelevance.

I wont be here to see it. But your children will.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Car Park fire in Jervis St car park in Dublin, ireland, last week

They do not really know how many were killed in Dresden, the city was crowded with people fleeing from the Russian advance in Silesia. It was a war crime, repeated since in Vietnam.

Reply to
maus

And what do we remember the car park fire in Liverpool in 2017 as?

nib

Reply to
nib

No-one seems to be claiming it as an EV fire, apparently only four cars were destroyed.

The Germans were meticulous about these things, but even so another 1800 bodies were discovered up to the late 1980s during rebuilding work.

Those who sow the wind reap the whirlwind.

Just like Dresden, where fewer people were killed than in the Operation Gomorrah attack on Hamburg.

Reply to
Spike

Whatever. It was a strategic target.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Fire bombs are not an effective way to attack roads and railways.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Why would he? He’s made up him mind on this (and so many other matters).

*Nothing* will convince him otherwise. Any PI or journalist would turn out to be in the pay of art students (in his head).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Can you elaborate on that? What is so special about SMR fuel?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are just the sort to call civilian housing a strategic target and endorse the dropping of incendiary bombs on civilians 'targets'.

Reply to
Fredxx

It's no good having a fit of the vapours about it, Fred. And it's no good bleating about International Law or the Geneva Conventions; Hamas has demonstrated quite clearly what they think of civilians, both their own and what they call their enemy's. As did the Arab slave traders down the centuries, along with the pirates of the Barbary Coast (latterly Tunisia, Algeria, etc).

Reply to
Tim Streater

You get it the same way you did in school. Have a cylinder of liquid CO2 and let some out. It will get _very_ cold as some evaporates - which freezes the rest. CO2 won't stay liquid at normal pressure.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Nothing. One particular SMR needs highly enriched fuel. Most use bog standard fuel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For fire truck size quantities of LN2?

Reply to