Lightning strike.

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> scribeth thus

Yes over time seem aerials and d feeders vaporised and bricks blown out of walls it seems its the rapid heating that makes most any moisture turn into explosive steam that mainly does that.

Had a near miss here one day bloody loud flash and bang took out the aerial distribution amp!..

Theres a roll of Furze ally earthing tape and rods that I've been meaning to install when i get aroundtuit!..

Good website here that will text you early warnings if you want them!...

tony sayer

Yes step voltage gradient its called, there are vids of footballers collapsing due to that effect. Can be a million of more volts over a short distance!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes. a lightning strike can be anything from a few volts induced surge on a nearby line, to a direct GodHatesYou strike that is instantly lethal to animal life and to most wiring.

When I lived in J'oburg, all the phones would tinkle on nearby strikes, but a direct strike would burn the house down.

I remember cuddling a gin and tonic and watching from a balcony as a strike hit the ground 50 meters in front of me, and a dull glow lit up the sky where another house was burning.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well look up the "rolling ball" method of assessing a strike likelihood they very often come in from the side as thats to the strike, discharge rather! is coming from so the side of a church or building is a better path to ground than that pylon or mast that you might think was the better target!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>, Rod Speed snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribeth thus

It can and does in a direct full on strike it causes the wiring to act like a fuse and expand, more like explode!, and it will blow the plaster off the walls which can take a lot of time to put right seeing it might have done other damage like a possible fire!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> scribeth thus

Yes it can if the discharge e current is strong enough and where the wiring may be on overheads..

Reply to
tony sayer

Nearest I have been to one was to a house whose garden backed on to ours, less than 100 metres away. I was standing by our back door at the time and the effectively simultaneous flash and bang certainly made me jump. That took out some of the chimney brickwork and a good proportion of the tiles on one side of the roof. (I recognise that these are not particularly securely attached).

Reply to
newshound