Cast iron kettle bell

The typical price for a 20 kgs cast iron kettle bell is £50-70. What's involved in making one?

Iron only seems to fetch about 10p per kg at the scrappy.

Reply to
GB

GIYF

How about this:

Richard

Concrete ones are much cheaper to buy than cast iron, but the density of the material is different, and concrete ones are much bulkier. The advantage, of course, is you don't need an iron foundry to DIY one. :)

Reply to
GB

You could always use mercury rather than concrete.<g>

Reply to
Roger Mills

Lead has a density 20% less than mercury.

Tungsten seems a better bet! A bit less toxic too and on par with the density of gold.

Reply to
Fredxx

Once at school we had a bottle with about a pint of mercury in it.

I tried to pick it up.

My hand just slid off the top. Most odd feeling.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Depleted uranium - 19.050 kg/m3 Tungsten - 19.25 kg/m3

I'm not so sure. Better at what?

Reply to
Fredxx

Sorry, ignore units and replace with SG.

Reply to
Fredxx

I'm not sure that I would trust his method for attaching the handle - I can see it pulling out of the Postcrete when the bell is in full flight.

Reply to
alan_m

Cheaper; if you're a government which already has some.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The bottom of the Instructables page, right hand tile, shows a handle modification, with rope and security pins. I don't think much of the rope, but the security pins would probably help. And the position of the security pins is good, as the stress will be distributed better by the handle, further up near the top.

You still have to decide what to make the security pins out of, for corrosion resistance.

Paul

Reply to
Paul