Strikes come in different voltages so check the output of the transformer. Many can be activated with either AC or DC with one being silent and the other buzzing. Other than that just find something that fits without too much modification.

From:mr sparkle snipped-for-privacy@shine.com

Reply to
BruceR

I think what you should look for first is a name and model number on the existing broken strike and see if you can Google up specs and/or where to purchase an identical or similar piece.

Failing that, use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the strike when someone pushes the button. You say there is "only one wire" going into the strike, but it mst be a two conductor wire, 'eh?

A multimeter set to measure DC voltage won't show much if any response to AC voltage, so If you get a reasonable reading, say in the range of

10 to 30 volts with the meter set for AC, but not much if anything on when set to DC, you'll know it's AC operated. Then take a WAG that if the voltage is less than 15 it's a nominal 12 volt unit, and if between 15 and 30 it's a 24 volt one.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia