Lighting wiring

Would these save enough time for a pro to justify £5/light? Or would apprentices still manage to fuck them up somehow?
<
https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw

https://youtu.be/HCCR_eS7PBw
<https://quickwire.co.uk
On 10/06/18 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:

I can see these being popular for downlight applications.
I do wonder how well these work with 1mm2 though, especially the CPC as it's particularly flimsy with no insulation.
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:

Perhaps until we see the price tag?
I wonder if they'll have one for 2-way switching, and one that takes an intermediate switch?

I would imagine there would have to be guides to assist?
Fredxx wrote:

£5 (that's the retail their web shop)

They could make one, but normally the 3&E strapper would just run between the switches, not back to the junction box.

Small demand I suppose.

Someone else has a review video, but it's a bit slow-paced
<
https://youtu.be/u-Io_AyRDHc?t=4m07s

https://youtu.be/u-Io_AyRDHc?t=4m07s

On 10/06/2018 10:49, Andy Burns wrote:

OK but that then means another T+E to a switch.

Looks a neat box.
The issue of removing a wire worried me and this video allays that concern, where a simple tool allows the extraction of a wire.
There are perhaps better systems for multiple downlights?
On 10/06/2018 10:49, Andy Burns wrote:

I have just had a look at his videos. Not bad IMHO.
--
Adam

On 10/06/2018 21:28, ARW wrote:

He didn't sleeve the switched live. I don't see that he could.
On 10/06/2018 23:17, dennis@home wrote:

I don't see that he would need to in that situation.
--
Mike Clarke

Mike Clarke wrote:

It is effectively marked "Ls" for switched live by the printing on the connector itself, sounds like they are planning a 3&E version for two-way switching.
I wonder if they'll try to make click'n'play switches and ceiling roses, and maybe a 6 or 8 way splitter?
Fredxx laid this down on his screen :

..and one which allows for more the two power cables, more than one load cable?
They seem fine, but only as a direct replacement where a joint box would be used, with just basic cables. They are not a replacement for where a ceiling rose would normally be used.
On 10/06/2018 09:23, Tim Watts wrote:

And 1.5mm T&E cpc is different?
--
Adam

On 10/06/18 21:04, ARW wrote:

No, indeed it is also 1mm2 :-|
On 10/06/2018 23:16, Tim Watts wrote:

I'd have thought that providing strain relief for the different cables would be a bit more of a challenge. And oddly the site seems to have removed the FAQ which mentioned strain relief[1]. I can't see from the videos how it's done but assume the cable is clamped as the fitting slides in.
[1] From Google's cache:
"Is Quickwire 17th edition compliant? Is there built in strain relief to stop wires getting pulled out?
The 17th edition is a code of practice for installers rather than manufactures, but having said that we obviously designed Quickwire so that installers can comply using our product. Our Quickwire junction boxes have completed testing to BS EN 60670-22 in conjunction with BS EN 60670-1:2005 + A1:2013 (Boxes and enclosures for electrical accessories for household and similar fixed electrical installations).
It is currently in testing for BS 5733 specifically for ‘maintenance-free accessories’. This is a punishing test that unfortunately takes 15 weeks. Once we have this we can then say the product does not require maintenance and therefore can be installed anywhere even if there is no access."
--
Robin
On 11/06/2018 07:12, Robin wrote:

Do conventional junction boxes have any strain relief? Most rely upon the screw terminals directly on the wire to keep things in place.
I didn't think strain relief was a requirement for fixed wiring?

One wonders what this 15 week test is?
On 11/06/18 12:08, Fredxx wrote:

Normally you would clip the cable near where it enters the JB. But that assumes the JB is fixed - many are just floating around in ceiling voids and to be fair, under those conditions it's unlikely to get a cable yanked.
On 11/06/2018 12:43, Tim Watts wrote:

I wondered if "fixed" is the right adjective for a junction box pushed through a 32mm hole and which is likely face movement over its life when ceiling fittings are changed - even if the apprentice doesn't end up hanging from the chandelier ;)
In any event, I think the makers ought to indicate whether or not the junction boxes have means for clamping (and if so whether retention or anchorage) and I can't find it.
--
Robin
On 10/06/2018 07:30, Andy Burns wrote:

ARW's apprentii can screw anything up.
Now all that is needed is a coloured stripe down one side of the T&E and it will be easy to spot when they have done it backward.
On 10/06/2018 10:43, dennis@home wrote:

That's not a silly idea! Your signal to noise has improved recently.