Steel Soil Pipe with welded joints

I've never seen this before, where a 4" soil pipe must have been factory made.
This was fitted into a 1960/70s council house.
Sorry the photos are poor, too many cobwebs etc.
Vertical pipe on left with 4" emerging to right
http://i66.tinypic.com/2iv01u1.jpg
Shows another 2" pipe emerging and heading off in the same direction as other horiz 4" pipe.
http://i66.tinypic.com/34t48bt.jpg

No reason why it couldn’t have been done on site.

On 09/06/2018 23:37, Rod Speed wrote:

I forgot to add the pipe and welded joints were galvanised.

On 09/06/2018 23:00, Fredxx wrote:

Even into the 1960s, the building industry was suffering from shortages of materials as a direct result of post-war rebuilding. That resulted in quite a few innovative techniques being tried, some successful, some not. Building a lot of identical houses would be the ideal place to try factory pre-assembly and welded steel pipes would need less material than traditional cast iron.

Colin Bignell
On Sunday, 10 June 2018 09:22:57 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

It could also have been welded on site then taken for hot dipping
NT

No point in welding on site and then taking it to the factory for hot dipping. Might as well weld it in the factory too.
On 10/06/2018 22:06, Rod Speed wrote:

Perhaps I was wrong, but I assumed it was NT's attempt at humour?

Yes you are.

It doesn’t do humour.