Leyland Paints?

Hi

Has anyone any comments on the Leyland paints in the screwfix catalogue. Im after some brilliant white etc. and was not sure wether to buy the usual Dulux etc from the local DIY shed or try the leyland paint.

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim S

just painted a pebbledash house with Leyland masonry paint. It worked good for me. And--unlike Dulux--the colours are available are in a wider range.

Reply to
Jimbo

It's good stuff; certainly on a par with Dulux/Crown etc rather than the cheapo own-brand stuff that the sheds knowck out.

We have a Leyland-only outlet near us; it's where all the local tradespeople buy their paint.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I think Dulux's 1200-1800 colour range for masonry paint (depending whether smooth or textured) would be sufficient!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And where do they get their paint from? Until the end of last year B&Q paint was from Crown - don't know who's got the contract now but it will either be Kalon (Leyland) or ICI (Dulux).

Reply to
Peter Johnson

recommended.

IME it beat the pants off Crown.

that says something.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Tesco value baked beans are (or used to be) made by Heinz. It doesn't mean they're same quality. Same with paint, or anything else.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Much of the trade use Leyland.

Reply to
IMM

Of course, you don't actually know that. As I work for Crown I could equally say that 'much of the trade (that I know) uses Crown' with equal validity. I would point out that Crown is part of Akzo Nobel, the largest paint manufacturer on a global basis. It seems to me that there are several reasons decorators use a particular merchant. Some use the closest to the work site. Some use the one supplying the materials specified by architect/designer. Some go for the best price. Some go for the service they get or they like the people behind the counter. (I have also worked for Leyland and found that they do have customers in common with Crown.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Dear IMM, How does Leyland compare to Johnstone's in the eyes of the trade?

(Note to Lynne Truss fans, the apostrophe is correct)

Reply to
Toby

"Peter Johnson" wrote | It seems to me that there are several reasons decorators | use a particular merchant. Some use the closest to the | work site. Some use the one supplying the materials | specified by architect/designer. Some go for the best | price. Some go for the service they get or they like | the people behind the counter.

Do the paint mfrs have similar schemes to boiler manufacturers and the like, whereby contractors who buy lots of their products collect points towards free logod overalls or holidays in Torremolinos.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or not ;-)

Went into the Dulux "Decorating Centre" the other day to enquire about masonry paints. The usual dull range of magnolia and variations of on the shelf at about 18 quid a tin (5L). Helpfull lass behind the counter informed me they can make most of the colours in the Dulux colour chart in masonry as well - the price however goes up to 34 quid a tin! Ouch.

Wandered into Johnsons later (Layland main dealer), They were happy to make up colours at 22/tin, what is more they would do any colour on any of their charts (even the non masonry ones), and, they said they were happy to make any of the colours produced by any other manufacturer if I wanted.

So you can probably guess which one got the business. ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I see from another post that you work for Crown... are you able to comment further on this issue? Surely you're not saying that 'Crown' and 'B&Q' paint are the same stuff, but with a different label on the tin? Or do Crown make B&Q's paint separately, to whatever spec B&Q stipulate? Are you in a position to tell us what the difference actually is?

(I have to admit that I haven't used own-brand paint in about 20 years, so maybe they're better than they used to be!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

No, I don't know what the difference was/is, if any, but I'm certain that the 10l tubs of Crown-branded matt emulsion B&Q sell for £10 is not the same as anything that I sell for twice plus that! But try explaining to someone who's seen it in B&Q and decides to buy from Crown, where they probably think it should be cheaper not more expensive! (A staff notice explained that the B&Q business was marginal, contributed to overheads but not profit.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson