Dulux interior paints

Having purchased some interior paint they claim that it should only take one coat but after one coat, its clear that its going to need two.

Now this is a light paint of a good white base yet there is no chance one coat would do it.

So my question the paint they do that is actually called 'Once' I think.......is that any better as I have heard some people say you dont get away with one coat.

Anyone any experience of using it?

Thanks

Reply to
Gogs

Yes, with the same result. Two coats needed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You seldom ever get away with one coat of paint. By far the best covering power of any paint I have ever used is Farrow and Ball.

Thats only takes two coats as against the generic 'one coaters' that usually take three.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Best of all I prefer the no coat paint. I'm always ready to use that one. Sadly, as long as it lasts, it's never long enough.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've just finished our hallway with Dulux silk, pale Primrose yellow over white base coat and I only needed one coat. Sure after doing one wall I took the roller and went over a couple of thin spots but I got the coverage I expected and it looks good. How are you applying it? Take your time and pay close attention and you will avoid both thin patches and over thick ones that drip. Practice of course also helps ;-)

FWIW I have used their Solo gloss on the skirtings and doorframes etc of one room and up and down hallways etc and it has only needed one coat. Be careful though, it is easy to put too much on, it forms drips slowly too. So once you have done one area check the previous with a dryish brush.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Or perhaps our eyesight is better than yours?

:-)

I've had going on for sixty years of practice.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well neither SWMBO nor our style guru wanabe of the eldest have said 'it needs another coat'. Who am I to argue? ;-)

You must be perfect then ;-) Blame your tools?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Yes, the paint.

We now use Farrow and Ball (after someone here recommended it). It's not cheap but it's beautiful. We've also used Ecos paints. We bought a large can of floor paint for the kitchen then were given vinyl 'boarding' which was being thrown out unused after a publicity show so we didn't use the paint for the floor. But it was a light colour so we tried it in the smallest room and it was perfect, we'll use the rest on the hall, stairs and landing.

When we get round to it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Have used Farow & Ball emulsion in one room - covered well, nice colours and good flat finish but seems very delicate - easily marks and rubs off. Robert

Reply to
robert

We haven't found that but we're meticulous about preparation.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That might be our problem - the paint "chips" off at the slightest excuse. The wall had first been painted with Leyland White Matt Emulsion, then overpainted with F&B a few days later. What did we do wrong ? Robert

Reply to
robert

No idea :-)

Any paint manufacturer would say that you should use an appropriate undercoat, I suppose.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think F&B is still made in the old fashioned way, which produces larger particle sizes and denser colours. The downside is that their paints have a high solids to binder ratio, which can affect adhesion to anything other than an ideal substrate.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What roller did you use? Rollers hold and release different amounts of paint. Woven rollers are generally better than knitted rollers for dumping loads of paint on the surface. More expensive rollers are normally better than the cheap ones. Except..!...Micro-fibre rollers, although they leave a smooth finish & hold loads of paint, they don't release it very readily.

One coat paints - they tend to be about 60%+ in solid content, the rest being water. Compare this to normal paints at about 40%+. They are also designed to spread less, so cover (say) 9m2/l vs the normal

12m2/l plus. They also normally contain more pigment, which gives better hiding. So... applied with care, re-filling your roller regularly, using a decent roller, you should get coverage in one coat. With the usual rider - if you are painting a zebra you may need more than one coat to cover up the stripes..... :-)

diypaint

Two words on a paint tin never to be believed: 'one coat'.

.. >On May 17, 2:44 pm, Gogs wrote: .. >> Having purchased some interiorpaintthey claim that it should only .. >> take one coat but after one coat, its clear that its going to need .. >> two. .. >>

[...]

.. >

I used one coat paint recently and had great success. The technique I only had to change was to load the roller well, roll slowly and keep the roller half loaded ... if you see what I mean.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I've used Dulux one-coat paint a lot. It covers well, but then I've not tried a light paint over a dark wall. I would suggest you use the Dulux roller, which has a velour-like surface. I can't imagine the paint covering a large surface if the roller used is a standard, shaggy type.

I've used Dulux--a very pale peach shade--also on wood paneling that years before had been treated with a thin wax treatment and after 20 years was a cafe-au-lait color. It covered exceedingly well. I used a brush to apply the paint to the grooves and then went on to use the Dulux roller on the wider, 3-inch, surfaces.

Reply to
MB