Let's be careful out there.....

Not at all in the same vein as DIY mum, we had a couple of industrial safety stories at work this week which I think are worth repeating.

The first was a fireman who had hydraulic fluid injected into his hand (through hide gloves) from a pinhole in a hose when training on one of those cutters for taking the roof off cars. He didn't get prompt, or good initial medical treatment, needed radical surgery to save the arm and more or less lost the use of the hand. Worth remembering for those of us with tractors or diggers.

The second was a double fatality of welders on a petrochemical plant. An argon cylinder had been left leaking into the vessel they were due to work on. The first one went in and collapsed; the second, instead of raising the alarm first, went in after him, and they both died. You hear of double fatalities far too often, from drowning, electrocution, and fire as well as asphyxiation. In my industry we are all trained to use the acronym "STAR", meaning Stop, Think, Act, Review.

(The Act, Review bit means that, say, if you have operated a valve, you check that the noises or pipe temperatures change the way you were expecting them to. This helps avoid the accident where you isolate the wrong circuit, and then end up working on a live one).

Apologies to those who are already familiar with these.

Reply to
newshound

Anyone working inside a tank should have known better.

Or cheap subbies bought in with box ticked forms...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A few years ago one of my tenants turned on the kitchen tap, heard the other tenant yell "argh!", went to investigate. Came back, found the kitchen flooded. Grrr. Straight to Act with no Stop, Think. He'd been about to turn on the manual ignition cooker as well.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston