LED Lighting

Reply to
nick smith

Farnell and RS sell them in onesies and twosies.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

will ship USPS from the states, which is cheap. They are not as fast at delivery as ultraleds (who provide a great service) due to this, but they have a wider range.

I'm trying at the moment to remove the LED chip from some, while keeping it intact, and solder it to a slab of sapphire. For a silly upgrade to a AAA mini-maglite. Some 10 times brighter, for half an hour, or the same brightness for some six hours. I'm about half-way there.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

can you point me to as source ... want finished lights, not components.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

can you point me to a source ... looking for finished lights, not components.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The

site I mentioned gives more finished lights, along with power supplies. It does not have completely finished luminares.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Why not buy the surface mount uncapped (no lens) version ?

Reply to
G&M

Are you referring to the 'emitter'? Anyway, it's around 8mm in diameter. Too large to easily fit without obscuring lots of light. Plus, I'm wondering if the chip can be safely overdriven with a better heatsink.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

can you point me to a source ... looking for finished lights, not components.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It's the semiconductor die mounted on a flat piece of ceramic with two surface mount pins.

Die is. The ceramic is about a 1cm square.

Surface mount version sends all light upwards without blocking.

Nope. The lead junction vapourises.

Reply to
G&M

They also have some absolutely lovely flush LED units, admittedly they're probably way overkill for the use you have in mind and the price may cause you to take deep breaths when you total it up (

/
)

Hope this helps a little.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

If you overdrive the luxeon emitters the lifespan quickly reduces, even with a very good heatsink. Also the emitted colour changes.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

I'm just going to try it with sacrificial ones. The cooling should be substantially better than normal, and the die temperature more or less the same for even a bit higher power.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Can you point me at a URL.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

good pictures of the sort of thing I mean, though these aren't high enough power for what you want. I assume you want about a watt but a google on "surface mount LED" throws up a million sites to plough through.

Reply to
G&M