led floodlight

Dark Skies.

The North Pennines AONB could probably apply but would need the cooperation of 3 county coucils and a fair few District Councils to enforce/change the lighting requirements. Galloway Forest and Northumberland have a the single park authority to do that.

Was a nice night last night just after midnight, Milky Way arching right over head, naff all Perseids. I was out for a good half hour I think I saw one out of the corner of my eye ...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I saw three over about 6 minutes, night before last. This area is heavily light polluted with Luton, Stevenage, Welwyn/Hatfield, St. Albans all within a few miles.

The sky was clear but a bit blurred by moisture vapour. I also saw what appeared to be a satellite of some sort, travelling North - South and much too fast to be an aircraft.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The cat and bin usage is exactly what I will be using it for.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I was not going to have a PIR or if I add one, I thought I would use a separate unit because as others have said, you can never aim the PIR and the light without moving the other.

I have found TLC sell ledlite:

Has anyone used these?

The literature says they use COB LEDS, what are these? They are supposed to be better than surface mount LEDS. Are they (and why)?

It says they come in warm white but does not give a colour temperature. They come as 10w or 30w. The 10w gives an equivalent to

70w incandescent output; I wonder if that will be too dim? I thought a 150w equivalent might be better, on the basis that 150w bulbs used to be used for this purpose.

Thanks Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I got a CFL floodlight from Lidl a few years ago. It's quite a 'cool' light, but not blue, and comes on brightly even in Winter. The lamp isn't replaceable but, as it's used for just when the dogs go out, it should last well.

Nowadays I'd want LED and something better designed for illuminated area.

Reply to
PeterC

You don't say what area you're wanting to illuminate. I thought long and hard before settling on a bulkhead PIR, but the area is not large. Chose it on the basis that other idiots had bloody great floodlights which shine into everyone else's properties. I did not see the need to do so. YMMV This is what I have:

Richard

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

More than likely thats the International space station, thats doing IIRC some 17,000 MPH...

But that goes West - East sort of...

tony sayer

They are all about the same IMHO.

I still light the front garden and my van with a 35W CDM-T flood light and a dusk till dawn sensor for CCTV reasons. I get nice colour rendering:-)

Reply to
ARW

In message , tony sayer writes

Hmm... maybe. Definitely North South.

This thing appeared to tumble which I assume the ISS does not do.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Umm.. 23:10 on the 12th. Crossing France NW-SE. My eyesight must be better than I thought:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

That might have been diffraction thru the air in the atmosphere otherwise just an olde UFO. They've been around longer than I have;(....

I think there still some polar orbiting satellites but there not that big .

Have a look on,

tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

I checked the ISS passes for my recollection of the time and they don't really coincide. Too low in the sky to the West and , as you say, moving to the SE.

This object was directly overhead and heading South. Visible for a bit over 1 minute. I think an aircraft travelling at that apparent speed would have been audible and low enough for the navigation lights to be seen.

UFO agreed:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

En el artículo , Tim Lamb escribió:

If that was about 9.45pm, it was the space station.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Overhead, Eastern England?

Just before bedtime, my estimate is after 11.00pm.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

En el artículo , Tim Lamb escribió:

I get the email notifications from NASA customised for my location.

They tell you when and where the ISS will rise, how long it'll be visible for, how high in the sky it will be, and where it will set.

It saves you scanning the whole sky - instead you know exactly where it will be.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Lamb escribió:

I get the email notifications from NASA customised for my location.

They tell you when and where the ISS will rise, how long it'll be visible for, how high in the sky it will be, and where it will set.

It saves you scanning the whole sky - instead you know exactly where it will be.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , tony sayer writes

Interesting site. Sadly they don't seem to think we should be star gazing between 22.00 and 03.00 on the 12/13th August.

As you say, not many going North South. What does a magnitude of 4.5 correspond to starwise?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

I was just curious. Only about 10deg. SW on the nearest pass to the time I thought I saw something.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Betelgeuse?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Brain spasm alert! Presumably because low orbit stuff would be in shadow over the UK at those times.

Rather points to a fast moving aircraft.

Reply to
Tim Lamb