Leaky connection to garden tap

I have a timing device (Hozelock) attached to my garden tap, which waters the garden for 5 minutes each morning and evening.

Unfortunately the tap connection has developed a slight leak. There is a kind of two-piece connection, one piece attached to the tap, and the other to the timing device, one fitting inside the other.

There appear to be two adequate washers, in good condition, so I'm rather puzzled about the cause of the leak, and more important, what to do about it.

Is there any kind of magic plumbing glue or cement one can use in such a case? Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

I ought to admit that the garden in question is in Italy, and I have just planted a little lawn (with grass seed), so watering is probably necessary, although the forecast on TV this evening was rather sombre, "Summer has ended, troublesome weather is coming in from the Atlantic".

I have to leave Italy shortly, and had been relying on my timing device.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

You could try Plumber's Mait. Available from screwfix. Not sure about Italy though.

Reply to
Old Codger

Amico di un idraulico

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Similar sealants available from Castorama, Brico, Obi and Bricopoint. Silicone sealant seems to be preferred in Italy and it is available in toothpaste type tubes from any of the above or from any ferramenta. Castorama sell selection boxes of seals, I'd be tempted to buy one of those and replace all the seals.

However weather usually changes this month and it starts to lash it down with rain.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Could it be that although the washers look ok they may have lost their elasticity in the summer heat and become less flexible. I know that plastic furniture in Turkey can deteriorate if exposed to the sun over summer and it becomes more brittle.

Reply to
SS

LOL!

How is it supposed to seal? Does the timer itself have a parallel female thread which is larger than the thread on the tap - hence the need for an intermediate adapter which screws onto the tap and into the timer?

If so, there should be two flat (but not too thin) rubber washers - one either end of the adapter. Where is it leaking? Is either thread bottoming before compressing the washer?

Are there any cracks in the plastic[1]? Are there any rough surfaces which would stop the washers from seating properly?

[1] If it used to be ok but has suddenly started leaking, it is possible that someone may have clobbered it and caused it to crack. Does the leak get worse if you apply sideways pressure to the timer?
Reply to
Roger Mills