Lead Valley Advice pPlease

I am about to replace a tiled pitched valley which has been leaking on my

50's semi (facing west in the west country). I have got a pamphlet from British Lead Mills giving details and went to a merchants who advised fitting grey GRPF sheeting like most new houses. Could someone advise on the following:

  1. How weather resistant is the sheeting?

  2. The pamphlet shows a piece of 25mm beading (square cut at 45 degrees) running the whole length of each side of the valley to prevent water running up the sides. Is this really necessary or is it overkill (two roofers told me they did not do this)?

  1. the width of lead specified for a 150mm opening with bedded tile is given as 550mm, is this OK.

  2. The pamphlet says it should be made with grade 5 or 6 but I have been told grade 4 will be OK, any advice here!?

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Hemmings

Get a pre-formed GRP valley .... then you only need lead at the apex, will outlast you.

Code 5 lead is what you should use on a valley if you want to use lead ... rmember you need to instal;l full lay boards to support the lkead, or it will creep under it's own weight in the sun.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes