Laying laminate - across the boards or along the wall?

I am about to lay Quick-step Eligna laminate in a rectangular room, with a window in one of the short walls.
The base floor is wooden floorboards, laid parallel to the long wall, i.e. pointing at the window.
Should I lay the laminate planks ACROSS the wooden boards or parallel to the long wall?

In my experience the floor looks a bit odd with the pattern running side to side in a long room.
--
Skipweasel

Lay parallel to longest wall .. and use an underlay (3mm closed cell or similar)
Joe Murray wrote:

Lay across the existing boards if you want it to be stable. If the room is *very* long and narrow, and thus you want it parallel to the existing boards foe aesthetic reasons then you will need to be sure the old boards are firm and flat and use a substantial underlay.