laying scotia or beading around a curve

Does anyone know how to lay scotia or beading around the curve of the bottom of a staircase?

I've laid a laminate floor in a hall way and the bottom stair is curved where it meets the floor. I have some straight lengths of plastic scotia which I've laid along the wall but can't bend it to go round the stair. Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks

Rowan

Reply to
Rowan

Have you tried warming it with a heat gun (carefully)? Practice on an off-cut.

Reply to
David P

'Kerfing'. Cut slots in the back of the beading at close intervals.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

I've tried boiling water but can't get enough bend. What's a heat gun? Would a hairdryer work? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Rowan

Scotia should be the best profile for this because the thicker part is in the centre, so it can be laid face down and slots cut with a tenon saw. Laminate flooring firms seem to shy away from this bit and just use their offcuts to stagger their way round the curve. There's probably a good reason for this. Has anyone successfully got round this sort of bend with a single piece of beading?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Depends what you mean by 'scotia'. The traditional way if you can't steam/bend/make up out of bits, is to machine out of the solid. Wouldn't be difficult if you could find a matching router cutter - you'd cut the curved profile on the edge of bit of board and then take this off with a bandsaw or coping saw etc. The grain would go from end to end so a curve approaching 90 degrees radius would have too much cross grain at the ends, so you might still need to make it up from 2 or more bits.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob

Same problem, same situation. I used a hair dryer (in abscence of a proper heat gun) lots of patience and a little bit of sanding on the apex of curve where the beading meets the floor. (excess material is pushed together at this point and needs sanding off to produce a flat edge on the floor).

Final result is very good.

regards

Davy

Reply to
davy

replying to Stuart Noble, Elsie Irvine wrote: We have the same problem in hallway. Front room is bigger than back room so the wall in hall were we have laid flooring has a curve. I thought small v shaped notches might work .

Reply to
Elsie Irvine

13 years out of date. Is this a record?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Saw lots of slots on the rear, then it bends. I do mean lots, otherwise the bend comes out lumpy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr