Latest feed-in tariffs

The Guardian seems pretty keen on this week's news

Anyone fitting a typical £12,500, 2.5kW PV system to their existing home will initially be paid 41.3p per kilowatt hour (kWh) generated. Enough, according to Miliband, to reward them with up to £900 in the first year on top of a £140-a-year saving on their bills.

Households get an extra 3p for each kWh they export on top of the 41.3p they

get paid for all units generated.

Not such good news for those whose took advantage of grants before 15th July 2009 - they only get 9p per kWh.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Are the differences between input rates and output rates for the eco garden gnome windmills at a point yet where it is worth getting one and driving it from an electric motor?

Reply to
Peter Parry

almost certainly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

!... ?!.... *?!*

You could stick a light bulb in front of the PV and come out ahead?!

Wonder when someone is going to investigate the climate change crowd properly as a front for creating the GS carbon trading market and GS outplacements in the media?

Reply to
js.b1

40p/unit feed in, 10p/unit bought if you can beat 25% overall "conversion" you make a profit!

Practically I can't see how you could get it to work though. you have a 2kW electric motor driving a 2kW alternator you are going to get less than 2kW out due to losses so you still consume from the grid. Two feeds from the grid? Pull power from one, feed back less via the other but at four times the price...

Or replace that 2kW electric motor with say a 2kW diesel engine running on red paying 50p/l (5p/unit) that's another matter... How would they know if the power you are feeding in is coming from the installed renewable source or your diesel genset?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Neighbour supply moved to yours with metering arrangement, original neighbour supply becomes feed-in. If no note is made of time (Motor on E7) the difference even with inefficiency could be over 8 times.

PV does not even make sense in the UK as newbuild or replacement roof tiles, it is too expensive & too inefficient for bulk install in UK.

Reply to
js.b1

At the nearest mental institution, and please take your nearest MP with you.

Solar 'on grid' is significantly less useful than a wind turbine in the UK, and those are a total waste of resources, play havoc with grid stability and often do bugger all when demand is high.

Incentives for local 'generation' of the miniscule amounts you'd get from a typical household are beyond any shadow of doubt a total waste of money, what we shoud be doing is massively increasing the insulation in homes and commercial premises - external cladding and digging up concrete floors if necessary. Or even knocking them down and rebuilding something fit for the 21st century and not something barely fit for the 19th century.

In industry give incentives for demonstrable long term reduced energy consumption with indentical or increased productivity - giving no possibility of exporting jobs overseas where energy is 'cheaper'.

Of course we could just sit back and carry on as we have always done, some global warming would speed up the ripening of my tomatoes.

Reply to
Mike