News feed down?

I haven't seen any new posts since yesterday morning, the 23rd. Whassup?

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe everyone is worn out from the "sizing home jointers and planers" discussion? ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Know any good Cajun jokes?

Reply to
G.W. Ross

I've met a couple....

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have seen 10~15. If you truly have not seen any new posts since yesterday perhaps you have too many filters.

Reply to
Leon

Nope ... been too busy trying to learn Farsi/Arabic. Plenty of that around here.

Reply to
Swingman

I got zero for a day, but tonight it's back.

nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Whoooeee, Cher, I purely does!

A long, long time ago, when dem cypresses was jus' younguns, it was young Boudreaux's first day in school and a teacher was going to play a "guessing" game. She passed out items to each of the students and proceeded to ask each student what item they received. When it was the new boy, Boudreaux's turn, the teacher gave him a candy kiss. She asked "Do you know what it is?"

Boudreaux replied "No."

The teacher said, "Go ahead and open it up and taste it."

Little Boudreaux did so.

The teacher then asked, "Now do you know what it is?"

Little Boudreaux said "Nooooo."

The teacher said, "I'll give you a hint . . . it is something your daddy wants from your mommy every night before he goes to sleep."

Little Thibodeaux in the back of the class jumps up and screams "SPIT IT OUT, BOUDREAUX, SPIT IT OUT! IT'S A PIECE O' ASS!

-- Believe nothing. No matter where you read it, Or who said it, Even if I have said it, Unless it agrees with your own reason And your own common sense. -- Buddha

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For a few days, I've had no problem seeing the list of threads (same problem on the rec.homerepair), but haven't been able to open an individual thread. I get an error #388 message, something about the server not responding or able to load. I switched back to the old Google Groups format and I can, now, read the individual threads. I don't know how to repair the #388 error issue.

I Googled "error #388" and found lots of hits, but I don't know enough about computers to understand the technical fixes as per some of the computer or other forums.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

LOL. I like that one.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

A good thing about usenet is you get to participate in the threads that interest you instead of the ones the forum owner wants, and when you do, you don't have to worry about someone that is about to call you an asshole being censored. Free speech is generally cool in the long run, and censorship is generally bad.

Reply to
Jack

Censorship was the biggest problem with Prodigy's discussion groups back in the early 90s... It was particularly annoying when academic authors quoted their own published research and their messages were deleted for "long quotations." I ran into that myself when posting sections of my own papers/articles. I've found that "Moderated" groups (whether Usenet or Web based) often suffer the problem of the moderator's biases in filtering... and in the worst cases they seem to feel compelled to join in every thread whether they have anything of substance to offer or not. That said, it would be nice to be able to keep the mass spammers off Usenet... ;~)

The trick with uncensored Usenet is to learn to ignore the flamers. That and grow a really thick skin. ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Tue, 1 May 2012 13:19:07 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Then, all I can say is that you don't hang out in the right groups. As you know, I can curse and swear and harass as much as anyone. Yet, I feel perfectly at home in the Festool Owners group web site, where it's moderated for all swearing and personal attacks.

Everybody there can and does discuss most any subject as long as it does not affect any family oriented values. That scenario maybe too bland or tame for some, but your suggestion that it's a "small percentage of people" is as far off base as it can get.

The percentage of regular posters there outnumbers rec.w member numbers many, many times.

Reply to
Dave

Yep ... FOG is one of the better ones. I have been a member for a little over two years, and run through the post headers daily on my iPad using an RSS feed, just like reading the WSJ, but I rarely ever post (a total of 16 posts in two years).

One of those perfect example of using Internet resources, other than UseNet, to keep up with alternate ideas in woodworking, tricks of the trade, and new developments in tools and methods.

You don't have to be tech savvy to use available technology to your advantage, and _the way you want to use it_ , just stupid.

Reply to
Swingman

Adding the smiley that was left off:

Reply to
Swingman

Good point. The really big thing to know (or figure out in this case), is finding out the few best groups to belong to. There's so many of them (and it's only going to get worse) that you can easily get inundated to the point of sheer lunacy.

Reply to
Dave

On Tue, 1 May 2012 20:35:20 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

But, the point is that it's NOT specialized like you think. Sure, there's a category for every Festool product, but there's also categories for many other off topic stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Festool.

Mike, generally I consider you a pretty bright guy. But, right now you apparently seem to be arguing against something that you have absolutely no experience with.

I suggest you head over to the Festool Owners group and at least have a look around. You don't have to register if you don't want to. At least then, you can argue if you still want to, but have a little bit of knowledge to back up your argument.

Reply to
Dave