Creative Toothpicking

Sorry, this post is ON topic.

Scott Weaver's "Rolling through the Bay" kinetic sculpture.

mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I cannot imagine the time that went into building that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I believe that takes a stoner mentality, the total focus of your life for years at a time. I think I heard him say that the last course he added took 90-100 hours.

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

or the reason for.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Artistic expression doesn't need a good reason... He translated his passion for something he felt strongly about into something you can see. If it makes you feel any better, he probably did it more for himself than for anyone else. Unfortunately, I think, if you remove the "tour guide" from the work, alot is lost.

Reply to
Bill

Do you know the way to San Jose? duh,duh-duh, duh-duh! ...

Maybe he doesn't a toothpick builder is someone who likes to pick-out a tune?

Reply to
Bill

oops typo fixed:

Reply to
Bill

Probably had Tinker-Toys as a kid! : )

Reply to
Bill

I had Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, an Erector Set, and a chemistry set, and I turned out...hmm. OK, point proven.

-- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. -- Sophocles

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good stuff!

Reply to
Bill

Why would you be sorry a post is ON topic? It's informatve, it's interesting, it's enjoyable, it's wood and it's not spamming.

or more an object oriented approach of a working piece at a time" approach? Either way I see a lot of balancng acts as it reached about the half way stage!

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Even for a wannabe netcop, you're surprisingly lacking in a sense of humour. But in retrospect, I guess expecting anything else from you is a waste of time.

Reply to
Dave

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 07:46:22 -0700, Larry Jaques

What? No Meccano? You were deprived as a kid eh?

Reply to
Dave

Looks like it would have been great fun! From Wikipedia:

Meccano was invented in 1901 in England by Frank Hornby and manufactured by the British company, Meccano Ltd, between 1908 and 1980. It is now manufactured in France and China. Currently sold "Erector Sets" are actually Meccano sets manufactured by Meccano S.N. of France, part of the Nikko Group of Japan.

Reply to
Bill

Actually, it's been years since I thought of the Meccano set I had. Metal rods, metal nuts and bolts, not a hint of plastic in sight. Between my Meccano set and my father's workshop, I credit both with my liking to fix, build and create things. Between nature versus nurture, I think nurture won out in my case.

I often wondered what happened to that Meccano set. Hell, I'd probably play with it today if it was still here.

Reply to
Dave

So did I and still cut a board an inch short today ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I hate it when that happens, especially when the client is watching. I was so mad at myself, I did it a second time in a row once. (not in front of a client, luckily) Talk about your instant humility.

-- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King

Reply to
Larry Jaques