Latch and Door Handles on FireDoor

On a loft conversion with an FD30 firedoor on the bedroom, is there anything special in the way of mortice and/or door handles that are required? Or can I just use an ordinary tubular latch & standard brass handles?

TIA

Hamish.

Reply to
Hamie

On or around Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:11:09 +0000, Hamie mused:

You can use standard locks and latches, but I wouldn't use cheap handles as the door is obviously heavier and some cheap handles are s**te!

Reply to
Lurch

I was planning on solid brass ones (Victorian) to match the rest of the house. Just worried a bit that I might need something specially fire rated to keep two jags happy.

Hamie

The regs will recquire you to fit a spring closer, usually a "perco type that is set into the edge of the door, but this can make what is very heavy door into a finger chopping of machine. Most people that have fitted these doors for have had me remove the closer after the jo has been inspected. The alternative is an external arm type closer bu these are usually to big and ugly for domestic use

-- Nick H

Reply to
Nick H

AFAIK there is no special requirement for the latch. There is a fire rated standard for the hinges (and there must be three not two) and it either needs intumescent strips on the top and both sides, or, the door stops must be at least 25mm thick.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all. I had the intumescent strips (Door is narrow, so 25mm stops weren't really wanted) and the 3x firerated hinges, which then made me think what about the latch... But I couldnt' find special ones so thought I'd better ask.

many thanks to all.

I also got the concealed closers from screwfix. About 2 quid each IIRC... I did find a closer (Perko) for about 120 quid... I'm still wondering if that was a typo on the website...

I think I'm ready to hang it now... I have all the bits finally. As soon as I get back from watching the AllBlacks thrash Scotland I'll put it up :)

Hamie