Large double ended wood screws

replying to Andrew Mawson, John Waterhouse wrote: Hi Andrew, Did you ever manage to find a solution to this problem? I have some broken fence posts (4" x 4") which I wish to repair. I was thinking of having some large double ended wood screws made from hexagonal bar. One end would have a standard "clockwise" thread whilst the other would have an "anticlockwise" thread. ( Like the thread on left hand bicycle pedals except these will be double pointed wood screws of course). This way, the screws can be tightened with a spanner on the hexagonal bar in the middle. Hence the posts can be repaired without having to dismantle the fence. I need four but it will cost less per unit if more are made. How many do you need? Does anyone else need some? With kind regards, John

Reply to
John Waterhouse

Check the date of the post (2011)

Google Dowel Screws

Reply to
alan_m

Dowel screws. Or drill a hole in each wood end & epoxy threaded steel rod in - that way you can move it into correct position before it sets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe so, but perhaps he was attempting to save writing it all again. it sounds a bit like those devices you get on boat rigging where you can tighten the wire up du to the threads being opposite handed in either end of a sleeve, then simply use a lock nut to secure them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's called a turnbuckle.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Screws don't hold well in end grain. How would you fill the gap that would have to be left for the spanner?

Reply to
Rob Morley