painting fascia boards.....

Hi all,

I've got wood fascia boards that need repainting. I plan to take down the brown plastic guttering (to jet wash it clean) repaint the fascia boards and then put the guttering back up.

However, upon closer inspection, ithe wood fascias appears to to have a surface texture that is somewhere between planed all round and rough sawn wood. It also appears to have been originally painted with a wood stain by the builders rather than with a varnish.

So what is already on there, so that I can use the same paint/stain on it of the same colour? Is it the best to be using given our weather?

Is cleaning of the fascia boards sufficient or have I got to get my electric sander out?

House was built in 1996.

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

Forget painting them. Clad them with uPVC - then you'll never need to touch them again.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hi,

Hard to tell what you have got. However, Sadolin and Sikkens are two companies that make the kind of stuff you need (and if B&Q and the likes don't have what you want, try Dulux and Crown trade centres respectively). Look at their websites (exterior products) and find what appears to match what you have got or what is suitable for fascia boards.

Products that would penetrate the wood would be better than those forming too much of crust as the crust can fail. What you have now, won't be like a marine kind of varnish with a deep crust and it may have been done at the minimum necessary level to save on costs.

Don't be tempted to use garden fencing paints and the like :-)

========================

Cleaning the boards is fine. Is there flaking on the surface?

Passing over them with a fine sandpaper (grade 180) may not cause any harm to provide a key and disturb any stuck on dirt. (Sorry can't advice much on this).

Cheers Charles

Reply to
Charles

30 years ago I would have said Sadolin PX65 - bloody evil stuff but it worked. Suspect it (or what made it good) is totally banned now - but I'm interested if it is not.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

The only reference to Pinotex PX 65 that turns up seems to be on Sadolin's Kenyan web site, maybe you could grey-import some!

Reply to
Andy Burns