Landlords and EICR

Some of us here are aware that landlords now have to have an EICR every five years on their rentals.

So I went to do remedial work on a report that was done by another company.

C1 Danger Present C2 Potentially dangerous C3 Improvement recommended FI Fuck It - I'll look at it later and that's going to cost you/it's 4pm etc

For those that do not know the codes.

How would you code a smashed 20A DP immersion heater switch in the airing cupboard showing exposed cores on a circuit that was removed from the CU several years ago when the combi boiler was installed?

Reply to
ARW

If there is no power to it, I would suggest an FI and possibly gaffer tape or similar to hide the non-dangerous bits.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

C2 - 'cos who knows when the other end might be connected again?

Reply to
Robin

If not live then it can't be a C1.

If there is a risk to it being live at some point then C2 or FI

If there is some confidence that it can't be live from being competently isolated at the CU then perhaps C3.

And the answer is?

Reply to
Fredxx

Or just screw a cheap plastic box over the top... grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

If the other end of the cable was *completely* removed from the CU, it's not part of the electrical installation at all.

If the cores are floating round the CU and could become live, C2.

If the cores are taped back or even better all tied to earth, C3.

And I don't think FI actually means Fuck It, otherwise all those bare wires I've had hanging out of the wall at 4pm would be coded FI too.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I'm not /sure/ that is a complete answer given the way "electrical installation" is defined differently for BS7671 and for the regulations for landlords:

BS7671: Electrical installation (abbr: Installation). An assembly of associated electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil specific purposes.

SI 2010/2214 (applied by SI 2020/312): ?electrical installation? means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter;

Reply to
Robin

It's going to take some reconnecting. Cut off flush with the wall as it enters the CU.

Reply to
ARW

I am going to say it's not part of the installation (Owain is the winner of this small competition). Note that the other end of the cable no longer enters the CU and would take considerable effort to actually reconnect it (see other post). I did say removed...

The switch was IMHO nothing more than a Tracy Emin work of art..

I removed the switch and patress faster than it would have taken to write out the s**te on the EICR. The screws are still their I just used a hammer and snips.

Reply to
ARW

Noted, ta.

Reply to
Robin

But you didn't say how well removed :-)

Reply to
Fredxx

I only found that out when I swapped the CU.

Another C1 was two rings on the same MCB. I do not see that as dangerous.

Reply to
ARW

But if it's disconnected it's not "located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter".

Otherwise my Wylex fuseboard would be an immediate EICR fail. It is purely decorative. I think I can admit to having a fuseboard for decorative purposes here without being laughed at.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I wouldn't doubt that (any more than I would doubt Adam's decision). I had in mind more the old argument that fixed cable etc doesn't count as part of an installation if it's only connected by being plugged into a socket. I never saw a definitive answer on that as regards BS7671. It was addressed in Approved Document P* which is what made me think the different definitions might matter, and leave it as a question of fact and degree.

*"The installation of fixed equipment is within the scope of part P, even where the final connection is by a 13A plug and socket."
Reply to
Robin

Did the tenant complain that it kept tripping?

Reply to
GB

They usually adopt a more creative approach to power their grow lamps :-)

Reply to
Andrew

The fire alamrm company I worked for in the 90's removed some interesting old fuse boards from various BT exchanges that were made of fancy dovetailed mahogany with bakelite boards and nice brass fittings.

Reply to
Andrew

My detached garage is powered like that. Someone (?john Rumm) said it disn't matter, it was still fixed wiring.

Reply to
Andrew

leading to a knife-switch?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Knife switch *before* the fuseboard, surely?

Anyway no, but I'll keep an eye on Ebay...

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname