laminate wood stainer

I bought a computer table from Ikea a while back, it has a laminate wood effect surface which does not match the deco, is it possible to stain/dye laminate? If so, could somebody give me the name of a product and where to buy it please.

If it is actually laminate, then the effect is normally made with a paper infill between the solid sandwich. Any attempt, I know of, to dye or stain this type of material will only lie on the clear surface, not really what you want, and not actually get through to the effect paper.
If the desk is veneered, then this is a different matter. Veneered surfaces can usually be rubbed down (sanded) back to the bare wood. The bare wood will take a stain or dye coating to change its looks.
Choose a bit of the desk that is never ever seen, behind one of the end supports should be OK, and try rubbing back a very small section with sandpaper. If it shows real wood underneath then you're OK to rub it all down and stain it. But if it only brings up the chip-board that most of these types of things are made from now, then it definitely won't take any kind of re-surfacing unless you change the whole thing with a totally new timber veneered finish.
BigWallop wrote:

Asa one who has used laminate for years in workshops. quite a few things DO stain it.
Horrible effect though.
I'd recommend using a quality two pack epoxy yacht paint :)
BTW I want to paint some unit doors (cheap nasty beech effect) matt black, does spray paint stick? Anyone tried it?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You'll need to prime with a melamine primer (the International one is v. good). Once you've primed, paint with whatever you want.
--
Grunff

Downside is it is expensive - about 17. I once used a similar product made by Dulux (it was slightly cheaper). They work by using a base and top coat and a tool to create a grain effect in the top coat. Another (cheaper) possibility would be a coloured varnish - if it will stick to the surface? - maybe try it on a section out of sight first.
Dave
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:42:31 GMT, "Craig"

No.
You could paint it instead. Scuff it with 00 wire wool first and use a melamine primer (I'd recommend ESP rather than International's)
--
Smert' spamionam