Laminate Floor and Architrave Question

What do the collective DIY minds here do when they get to a door architrave? I'm fitting laminate floor in the upstairs bedrooms as there's not much wear and tear on them. I've lifted the skirting boards and removed the architrave off one room and put new in after laying the floor. It all looks good except for the slight gaps where the architrave thins out by the door.

Any advice?

Thanks

Reply to
John Kelly

You need to saw a little bit (slightly more than the thickness of the laminate and underlay) off the bottoms of the door frames and architraves - and slide the laminate underneath. You need to leave an expansion gap - but can still hide the edge of the laminate under the frame/architrave.

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks but maybe I'm not clear. Because of the way the architrave thins out as it approaches the door it's smaller than the expansion gap required for the laminate. It's already on top of the laminate as is the skirting board.

I just wondered whether anyone else had done this and what they'd done to get round the problem.

Reply to
John Kelly

Are you saying that the architrave is thinner than the skirting?

Reply to
Set Square

I think he means to cut a slot at the base of the frame to let in the edge of the laminate.

Could you cover it with a threshold strip?

Reply to
Rob Morley