Carpet or laminate? Which would you prefer?

Just gutted a house we bought and about to start doing it up to sell and can't decided whether to go for laminate flooring throughout or carpet in the hallway and stair case and the upstairs rooms.

Downstairs is going to be laminate regardless. Renewing all woodwork upstairs (doors, door frames, skirting etc) so want my mind made up before that gets done as if I go for laminate I want it done right - fitted under skirting etc.

It's a 3 bedroom detached modern style villa in Glasgow. Enter through the front door and have the stairs to the top floor facing you with only a short hallway. Upstairs is 3 beds and family bathroom.

Friends and family seem split on what they think buyers would prefer and I'm in two minds so looking for opinions here.

If i was doing the place up to stay in it myself then I'd go for laminate throughout with heating mats but that's pricey and I'm not sure it would make sense to do since I'm selling it. At the same time I think laminate in bedrooms without any kind of underfloor heating could put people off.

Opinions please :)

Cheers,

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

If you have serviceable floorboards, sand and polish/varnish?

Even if you need to relay them to close the gaps, it's no more work than laminate and little capital cost. Gives the future occupants the option of nice wooden flooring or laying their own carpet.

Then you said "modern", so maybe you have chipboard panels...

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Depends entirely on what your target buyers in your area prefer. If you're not sure, If I were you I'd go and talk to estate agents. They should know the answer, and will be pleased to offer advice especially if there's a whiff of a future sales commission from you. You'll have to weigh up the difference in cost, and decide if it's worthwhile.

BTW I'm sure the bathroom should be vinyl/laminate rather than carpet; I think pretty well all buyers are off bathroom carpets these days for hygiene reasons.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I'd go for tiles in the bathroom/toilet. Laminate is a def no no in areas with water (eventhough on some of those DIY homes shows they install it??)

To the OP, I'd go for a carpet upstairs. I'm not a fan of laminate anyway but carpet will provide a warmth to the bedroom area.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

It's floorboards but unfortunately in no way useable. Gouges, splits, holes, etc.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

Probably a good idea.

You'll have

I reckon cost would be about the same for each for half decent carpet / laminate. That would be without any under floor heating though with the laminate.

Yeah, actually plan on tiling the bathroom floor. Should have mentioned that, sorry.

Cheers.

Neil.

Reply to
Neil

People will probably want to put their own stuff in. Either just clean the floors, or put on a cheap "vanilla" floor covering to give an impression of what it'll look like "inhabited". More is an utter waste of money.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That's the plan for the bathroom. Only option really that's hygenic.

That's what the wife reckons as well. Personally I like laminate and tiles. If I had my way I'd have everything tiled but it's not really practical in our climate. Leaning more towards carpet upstairs and on the stairs themselves now...

Reply to
Neil

That's it - they are (or will be) working for you and know how to sell. They will probably recommend something cheap and boring.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not sure I agree that it's an utter waste.

Although it's a 3 bed detached it's just about in the range that 1st timers can afford. My impression nowadays is that most 1st timers can barely afford the deposit and mortgage payments when they start off let alone have to start worrying about finding the money to carpet / floor the place they just got. Only talking about a grand(ish) for the flooring / carpet for upstairs anyway.

Reply to
Neil

And many (not all) FTBs will want move-in condition, so finished flooring is probably highly desirable. It needn't be top quality, it only has to look 'nice' until about a week after they move in.

I would go along with laminate downstairs (including hall, cut out a door mat recess), fitted stair carpet in stairs and upstairs landing, and bedrooms if you can afford it. A neutral or tile-effect vinyl in the bathroom. For the kitchen I would probably use laminate floors and try to find a reasonably close match wood-effect worktop, with plain painted unit fronts (shaker style).

Darker laminate floors I think look better quality and are more in style, but will make the rooms look smaller.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Personally I'd go with laminate throughout (except manybe the stairs for safety). I'm not a fan of carpet, and think that laminate gives a cleaner finish. I think you need to look to your target market, ans it sounds like a modern family house and laminate would suit that perfectly.

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

I think you;'re right, and that your sentiments are remarkably benevolent. Why not, if you intend to help your buyer, just tell them that you'll give them back £1,000 in cash on exchange? Then, they can make their own flooring decision, and you don't have to do the work.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I think that's a waste. Neil does the work, the new owner undoes it. Who gains? The flooring vendor, no-one else (except, possibly, the Estate Agent).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

That would assume a buyer with an ability to imagine what it would be like.

Possible, but cuts out part of the available market.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A big part, judging by our latest house selling experience.

Comments we've had back from viewers:

- It's too neat and tidy [!!!]

- It's too clean [!!!!]

- It lacks character - beams, brass horseshoes etc [it's a 1930's house, not a pub]

Reply to
Grunff

Most of the day-time house selling programs on TV recommend the bullshit factor and spending £1K can make the difference between an easy sale and a house that stays on the market forever.

Reply to
Alan

It is well known that people who don't make an offer will be polite and not necessarily tell you the real reason for not wanting your property.

Reply to
Alan

Happy to accept that, but "it's too clean"??? Really? Surely anyone could come up with something better - "it smells bad" etc.

Reply to
Grunff

Have you been reading this thread? In that case, all he's got to do is put down the same cheap s**te surface throughout, as I suggested earlier. Job done. Crikey, there's talk of under- floor heat pads, tiling out the bathroom, and loads of stuff that is off budget/unnecessary - you don't get much for only 1K!

Reply to
Chris Bacon