ladders

has anybody came accross a person that insists on going up and coming down a ladder back to front...I have ...and my heart was in my mouth when he did it....

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

jim.gm4dhj snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote

Upside down or facing the wrong way ?

I haven't with either, even on the internet.

Reply to
Rod Speed

How do you mean, facing out from the ladder? I have come down some short ladders facing outwards when I was working, but not many time s tho'

Reply to
Rob H

I've had to climb up the back of a scaffolding ladder, because it was a shallow angle and the face was hard up against the neighbour's wall. About 5' up, I'd swing around the front for the rest of the way.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

'In my youth' as they say, I did quite a lot of potholing. We used wire ladders, like this

the recommended technique was always to 'climb up the back of the ladder', i.e. wrap your legs and arms around the sides and put your heels onto the rungs from the back, also arms and hands. That way you could climb using the muscles in your legs to push you up, and without simply hanging with all the weight on your arms which would tire quickly.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

+1 - though IIRC traditionalists argued for one leg behind and one in front
Reply to
Robin

Who would do that? Maybe circus performer turned window cleaner? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

doesn't count...I have had to climb four storeys up one of those tower scaffolds with built in ladder each side...bloody dangerous...health and safety said it was ok to do it

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

a radio ham friend

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

yes facing out and holding on backwards

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

nah he climbed up and down the front but backwards

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

they only do that in Wagga ....tee hee

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

The possibility of you snagging a heel on a tread and falling seems to be quite significant (unless you are wearing trainers, which scaffolders always seem to).

Reply to
Andrew

That says it all. Not a real person !

Reply to
Andrew

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Some dogs and cats do, quite interesting to watch but no point in sending you a link to the videos.

Reply to
Rod Speed

why not ?

Reply to