Knock off, or just flattery?

I though this:

familiar:

design seems to have a Bosch ring to it:

like the old GST 85:

(their AG looks rather Makita ish as well)

I wonder how close a copy they are quality wise?

Reply to
John Rumm

What makes you think they are copies and not just off the same line?

Reply to
dennis

The description the seller gives explicitly claims they are manufactured in china. Neither of the original products are...

Reply to
John Rumm

Googling Mery Tools brings up this website.

just because their grasp of English isn't perfect, might not be the the end of the world except when it comes to reading the manual maybe, and the Chinese seem very conscientious hard working, and honest, etc etc but....

You'd imagine that when making "relatively" small quantities of power tools, the biggest tooling cost would probably be the machining of the staimless steel moulds for the injection moulding. If these look outwardly "identical" to branded tools it may be that they somehow bought up, secondhand, the tooling on which the original shells were turned out, maybe in China, after production ceased. And have cobbled together internals to fit.

michael adams

michael adams

That doesn't mean all the components aren't made in China.

Because duty is often higher for importing complete items, it can be worthwhile assembling items in the EU and pay a lower duty for the component parts.

Reply to
Fredxx

So they buy the stuff in and assemble it (into boxes), now its made in the EU.

Reply to
dennis

I think its all in the luck of the draw. About 10 years ago an itinerant to= ol seller knocked on my door and offered me a Makita cordless drill complet= e with two batteries for some ridiculous cheap sum. Though it was all nicel= y presented in a blow moulded case, with the Makita logo and in the Makita = livery it had to be spurious but it was so cheap it was worth a punt.

It lasted about 8 years in the hands of various fitters who didn't give a r= ats arse about tool care. Longer than some of the Blue Bosch we generally r= un. Great value in the long run.

Reply to
fred

seller knocked on my door and offered me a Makita cordless drill complete with two batteries for some ridiculous cheap sum. Though it was all nicely presented in a blow moulded case, with the Makita logo and in the Makita livery it had to be spurious but it was so cheap it was worth a punt.

arse about tool care. Longer than some of the Blue Bosch we generally run.

It may well have been genuine, but of dubious provenance (= nicked)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

t tool seller knocked on my door and offered me a Makita cordless drill com= plete with two batteries for some ridiculous cheap sum. Though it was all n= icely presented in a blow moulded case, with the Makita logo and in the Mak= ita livery it had to be spurious but it was so cheap it was worth a punt.

a rats arse about tool care. Longer than some of the Blue Bosch we general= ly run.

Nah. Close examination shows otherwise. Definitely a copy.=20

Reply to
fred