kitchen scales oddity

We have a cheap electronics kitchen scale (Salter) that when you turn it on, it lights up the display and after about one second shows zero grams. About half a second later the display changes to 2 or 3 grams and stays there. Pressing “zero/tare” sets it back to zero where it then stays.

A bit annoying because obviously it’s not supposed to do that but liveable with.

Any thoughts as to why it might behave like this?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Low battery?

Reply to
charles

We have a set of scales which were erratic when turned on. A new battery fixed it. They are the kind of thing the battery seems to ‘last forever’, more making them do silly things, than failing to turn on. Ours take a 2032 coin cell.

Reply to
Brian

Don’t think so. *That said* the battery indicator does say low, even with a new battery. Dry joint somewhere?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My £5 Asda scales doesn't increment if you add stuff *really* slowly - like one mini poppadom at a time.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, its weighing the receptacle, it does this then will reset to assume that this is the empty receptacle. Many of the talking scales I see around also allow it to be reset as you put in different ingredients, and that is why they always measure the receptacle. It should only be a second, so if yours needs a button to be pushed, it could be that the thinks its has had its recalculate button pressed, of course these are just mass produced modules. Brian`

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well could be, but surely both faults would indicate something in the supply dept. It will probably use a pp3, check the contacts on both bits, they are notorious for bad connections. Even the rivet in the middle of the large one can oxidise badly, and even if you take the plastic off you will find dissimilar metals that wont solder. Sometimes a small fat self tapping screw will help or a new connector. Normally, though you would expect intermittent problems from this. I had a smoke alarm that was like this, that turned out to be the wire on the pcb having never been soldered. Maybe the maker used to drive for Every? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is the display just an electronic one on a mechanical mechanism without a pointer? If the platform moves when you press it, this could be the case, and some oil might remove some accumulated gunge that stops the platform falling by gravity.

Reply to
Dave W

Mine has a problem if I grate parmesan into a bowl. I have to remember to tare it, with a similar bowl, then put it on when I (think I) am nearly there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Brian Gaff snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Havent seen one with one of those for many years now.

They mostly use a CR2032 now.

Never seen that in my Fluke 19 and it lives a much rougher life than my kitchen scales.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Do you keep it on its side? I keep mine that way and I put the problem down to slow plastic deformation of the load cells with the weight of the weighing table, after it has zeroed itself.

Reply to
Roger Hayter