kitchen cab's and drawers with no handles

Am currently installing a new kitchen. I don't want to use door handles, but want to be able to 'tap' the door and it will open. I can find touch latches for doors, but how do I sort it for drawer fronts? The door fronts are smooth and have no recesses etc. Any ideas?

Why can the same catches not be used at the sides of of the drawers? I'm sure they would fit on our drawers, there is a good gap at each side where they could be fitted.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've never seen these touch latches. Depending on how they are designed, could they just be used for the drawers directly, perhaps on the underside where they can't be seen?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well you wouldn't want touch latches (or any other latch!) on a drawer; they hold a cupboard shut, but a drawer doesn't need that (unless you're talking kiddy-proofing). Touch latches are invisible from the outside; the sort you push slightly, then they release (commonly seen on a loft trapdoor, the sort that you prod with a stick and it flaps down to release a ladder).

To the OP - I think you have no choice but to get some form of handle to pull the drawer out; either that or you need a recess along the top or bottom edge to get your fingers into. If there's no space above or below the drawers, you'll need to make some sort of cut away like: _________________ _________________________ \___________/

... which won't work well unless you have solid wood drawer fronts.

David

Reply to
Lobster

ISTR they are fitted at the rear of the drawer. the standard flimsy touch latch that is freely available won't work.

Try Haefele or Woodfit or if you appen to be near Paris BHV had a great variety of these items last time I was there, including some strong ones. Worth the trip ;-)

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Thanks for all the advice. I found some touch latches at Homebase last night. They have a surprising amount of 'kick' to them when they operate. However, they are £2.65 each.

They are the same as at

but white.

I don't want them for their ability to hold the doors closed (although they obviously have to do this) ... I want them to be able to 'kick' the door/drawers open when I 'tap' the door / drawer. This means I don't have to have handles on display.

I can see how they would work on the cupboard doors, but was wondering if they would 'kick open' a drawer enough, esp when the drawer was full of stuff. I never thought of putting them at the back of the drawer. Not sure there is enough room in my kitchen units. I'll have to check this, as this would hide them completely. Likewise, I'll see if they'll fit underneath the drawers.

I guess I'll just have to try one to see if they can cope with opening a drawer enough.

The touch latches from screwfix appear to the the sort more often used to hold loft doors in place and would be far too big for kitchen cabs.