Kids never had it so good

Indeed. Coming back to model planes about 15 years ago I saved thousands flying an RC simulator. By the time I got to flying the actual models, mostly I didnt crash.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

...which is IMHO how people ought to be taught to drive. 100 hours in a simulator before they are let anywhere near an actual car....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To what extent could Dyson have made 5000 (or whatever it was) prototypes of a vacuum cleaner using virtual reality? OK you model stuff in a computer but there comes a point where you have to test it in the real world. Are these kids growing up imagining you don't have to do that?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Now that makes me feel old. I worked on the Dr Who pilot episode with William Hartnell. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wow....

Reply to
Tim Watts

A lot of them think that that is what 3D printing is for.

And they may in time be right.

Robots will paint the pictures, and make the sculptures..

Yes, one may look back in sadness on balsa wood and tissue paper - or indeed continue to use them - I still do - but the fact remains that the skills of yesteryear are no longer required. I am, or was a trained draughstman, I can also write - or could - almost copperplate with a fountain or even a dip pen. And use a slide rule and a book of Log tables ..

I haven't done any of that in several decades.

Not the way I used to

If I design today its a 3D CAD package and the output of that can go to a 3D printer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can't beat the smell of baking bread.

Having done it by hand and recently bought a bread maker, I can recommend the latter.

By hand has its good points but being able to set it all up so you can wake up to, or return from a walk to, fresh bread trumps them all.

Plus you can do other things in it, even make jam.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Qualifies you for free tickets to - and free drinks at - Dr Who conventions?

Reply to
Robin

[bows deeply]
Reply to
Martin Bonner

I doubt it. The consensus from the crew afterwards in the pub was it was rubbish, and wouldn't get a series. ;-)

That pilot episode was actually made twice. At TV Centre and at Riverside. I worked on the Riverside version.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Struggle as I might I can't find the printer cartridge containing balsa wood and tissue paper.

Mind you, I never made models of that type. The local librarian did when I was a kid, and various local oiks used to shoot at them with air rifles.

Reply to
Tim Streater

No but they still don't have to get their hands dirty. Email file of parts design to CNC machine the otherside of the world, it machines it from a solid lump of what ever and sends it back via airmail. Industrial 3D printers are another option. Both probably quicker, cheaper and to a higher tolerance than sending a set of drawings to the Model Shop and having a skilled tool/model maker make one by hand.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

favourite Dr

Meh, can't trump that but I worked on the last years of Animal Magic and Vision On.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

Was Hartnell as miserable as some friends of mine claim?

Reply to
Jonno

:-)

It will come.. actually there are better materials now than balsa wood.

Bastards!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK you can get the parts made one way or another but you still need to assemble, instrument, test, and assess that prototype.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Almost certainly worse. ;-)

He had a real problem learning lines - so may have been as irritable with himself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hell's Teeth! I can clearly remember watching the first episode in

1963. I was 11.
Reply to
News

I started at episode 3. I was 9.

I stopped with Bonnie Langford [gag] & didn't restart until the reboot.

Reply to
Huge

Too expensive IMO, and I have just taught a couple of kids to drive.

Reply to
Blanco